1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

will a warning icon show if the regenerative braking does not work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussoris, Jul 30, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

About 3 weeks ago had to do a panic stop and after that have been having odd things happen ,
    such as ev mod went out today after a couple of weeks intermitently working.

I don't think the brake regen is working, as we drive the same highway and roads everyday and I used to get off at an exit then coast to regen and have a full green pack. Or if I apply the brake lightly I can normally get a full green pack, now after today I can only get 6 blue bars thought I had all but was not or if it was it fell off to 6 very quickly. It does not go down to 1 pink only down to 2 purple bars at the lowest I've seen.

Temps in the high 80's no A/C on I even went down the highway at 75 slowly put on the brakes and got no bars to increase on the soc meter.

Is there a way to chk brake regen without having a meter connected to the HV pack?

Will be going to the Ozarks Wednesday, so I will chk how it does on the hills , been there done that before and always get a green soc.

If not will take into dealer.
    anything to tell them to look for if no regen or if not seems to be the same as norm.?

thnks

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 30 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]487579[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are over reacting, I rarely ever see green SOC, For the most part mine usually stays at 6 bars and occassionally hits the 7th green or drops to the 5th bar. I think that If your temps are in the upper part of the 80's that could be part of the cause of it, I think the battery gets hotter and it doesn't charge as much. Alot of priuschatters prefer to use A/C for this reason to keep the cabin cooler for the battery.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 30 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]487579[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you could try doing a 10-minute drive with moderate braking, then stop the car and touch the front rotors. Driving 'normally' with regen, they should be cool to the touch. If they are hot, then there is a good chance the regen is not working and you are using only the friction brakes. ;)

More than likely, everything is fine and it is just a different set of conditions. I would expect some sort of error code if regen was not working at all... :huh:

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another thing to remember is if the temperature is warm/hot, especially overnight, the battery won't have much opportunity to cool. Generally, if it's hot enough to prevent EV mode (3 beeps), there won't be as much regen happening either. I think the Prius really needs some kind of 'turbo' timer for the battery cooling fan, because the fan just shuts off when Prius gets shut off, and the battery may still be on the rise with its temperature.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

here is an update : took it out for an hour drive, the soc meter goes to 6 bars stays there so I started driving at 70 mph and letting it coast to a very slow crawl ( unpopulated county rd) that has a posted speed of 60mph any way.. it shows the arrows going back to the battery after slowly touching the brakes it does go to green soc.( another thought, since we did a panic stop is there a sensor that may have gotten knocked loose) cause if I put the brake pedal down slower than normal I can seem to feel the regen ?)

it does not allow for the 7th blue bar any longer it used to show 7 bars of blue now only 6 bars then after a long time it will go to green. never showing the 7th bar

sounds like something is not right to me.
    could a wire be loose in the hv ecu I did remove the defective ev mod just wondering if a wire could be loose in that plug connector ?
    any thoughts

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 30 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]487648[/snapback]</div>
    I have never heard of anyone getting seven blue bars. One and two bars show in pinkish purple, three through six bars are blue and seven and eight bars are green.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you take it to the dealer with that EV button hooked up, you may end up like another Prius owner who almost had to pay for a battery.