1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will al-Qaeda Follow Us Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Nov 2, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Nov 2 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]342647[/snapback]</div>
    In a side-bar discussion, is that documentary available offline? They don't care much for streaming at work and I have dial-up at home.

But yes, I would love to sleep better.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 2 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]342487[/snapback]</div>
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even the people who are in charge of our War efforts really have a firm idea of what constitutes "win" or "lose" and how that is to be measured.

Further, I don't believe that any realistic assessment of this has yet occurred.

So, for the sake of the enlightenment of not only the loyal followers of PC, but our Government at large...could you tell us please, what in your view would constitute a "victory" in this war, and what, in your view, constitutes a "defeat" ...and how you plan on quantifying it so we can all tell if it really happened or not...?

3. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

I am sure they will be over here as soon as we leave. Remember 9/11... they were over here before we come over there. We rather fight over there than over here.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 2 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]342654[/snapback]</div>
    Tony - I haven't seen the documentary yet, but there is a streaming version optimized for dial-up available.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Nov 2 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]342662[/snapback]</div>
    If they were over here before we went over there, how will getting rid of them over there get rid of them over here? See ... if we somehow magically get rid of all of them over there, the ones over here are still here.

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 2 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]342503[/snapback]</div>
    Of course they will! It's never appeared to me that al-Qaeda was focussed on Iraq. And, of course, if we leave Iraq or 'lose' the war, I'm sure al-Qaeda will say they were an important part of the 'victory'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 2 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]342572[/snapback]</div>
    I DON'T agree that they will 'follow us'. As far as I'm concerned, they're doing what they can already to harm the US on US soil. We've been lucky so far, or Homeland Security has been successful so far, that we haven't had other attacks succeed (I have no clue how many have been foiled).

If we leave Iraq, al-Qaida will use it for publicity, and they may have more resources available to deploy elsewhere.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "They" are already here, and "We" are already there. "They" will never go "back there" since their "there" is already "here."

And, since our "here" is wherever we want to go (which is "everywhere") there's really no place left for "them" to "go," since we're already "there" (or plan to be "there" again soon).

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 2 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]342944[/snapback]</div>
    Of course "they" also consider "us" to be "them" and "them" to be "us".

But that's neither here nor there. ;)

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sometimes I have a hard time finding my own way home.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 2 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]342585[/snapback]</div>
    You hit the nail on the head. This idea of "winning" or "losing" is really way off the mark. We have succeeded in the key objectives (ousting Saddam and assuring there is no WMD threat - not that there ever was). So in that sense we have accomplished our primary objectives.

To that end, I think we are nearing the time (if not already past it) at which we let the Iraqi people know that since we have acheived our objectives we are now done baby sitting them. Either they can get along and stop the sectarian violence or they are on their own.

Once we leave, I'm having a hard time seeing how al qaeda will have much of any indigenous support or relevance there, so I'm not sure how they will have "won" or more specifically, WHAT they will have won.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 2 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]342592[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't joking.

If al-Qaeda had a vote, who would they vote for? I would posit the same person you would.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 2 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]342655[/snapback]</div>
    A widrawl from Iraq and the creation of a power vacuum that is filled by Iran and al-Qaeda is defeat. If this happens will they follow on with their attacks against us or will they stop and call it a day?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]342673[/snapback]</div>
    By removing their base of power and operation and thier ability to plot and plan and grow stonger and spread their influence we will make them weaker. Kinda like cutting the vine at the base. They should not be allowed to use the sanctity of national boundries to plot and conduct mass murder and slaughter against their neighbors wherever they are - like Germany of the 1930's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Nov 2 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]343000[/snapback]</div>
    It used to be easier here in and around NYC - we used to have point(s) of reference we could visualize for miles and miles guiding us to and from our destination - and now a large gaping empty hole in the skyline filled with horrible memories and continuous reflections.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, it's not like a vine, it's more like a giant moss. This enemy is mercurial. Their 'base of operations' is spread not in countries or places but in people...people spread around the world...Europe, middle East, Asia, Africa. You can certainly aim for OBL, but there are a lot of 'rootlets' out there more than ready to take up the cause.

No attack on a soverign nation will have any impact on stopping terrorism. They must be sought out via their means of communications, via infiltration, via frustrating their efforts through intelligently structured security measures.

Who would they vote for...I think they're quite pleased with the growth of the terrorist cause since the Iraqi invasion. Their message of the 'evil western empire' is much easier to spread when these folks see what's happening on their own land. Chaos, like that being created via the current US efforts, is exactly what they thrive on.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 3 2006, 07:44 AM) [snapback]343107[/snapback]</div>
    We will disagree to some extent. Knock out their major foundations and then it is easier to take care of the rest. If you leave the trunk(s) intact, the number of sprouting branches will continue unabated. Kill the roots, kill the trunk and the branches become weaker, easier targets.

I support the Iraq War and the War on Terror for numerous reasons - one of which is that the bad guys are on the defensive and unable to plot and plan to attack us with full vim and vigor. They do not thrive on chaos or conflict. They thrive on fear and intimidation - they abhore fighting and dying and wasting scarce and valuable resources on survival.

13. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 3 2006, 07:54 AM) [snapback]343111[/snapback]</div>
    You realize Iraq never had anything to do with al-Qaida before Bush & Co invaded. Now it does.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 3 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]343111[/snapback]</div>
    I once had to use that same approach on vampires. Or maybe it was zombies. Either way, it worked like a charm.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Nov 3 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]343117[/snapback]</div>
    I do not have that limited point of view.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 3 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]343128[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously you went to the same school as Clinton. I am not sure where Kerry went to school but he was stupid enough to get STUCK in Vietnam.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 2 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]342528[/snapback]</div>
    Follow? are you kidding, you've never been to Irvine CA, or many other U.S. cities.

17. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 2 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]342594[/snapback]</div>
    So "they" go where we lead them. So if we withdraw from Iraq and go home, where will "they" go?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Nov 3 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]343117[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't the Dem leadership vote to send the troops and fund the war, too? That's what makes up a government, 3 branches, checks and balances.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

If we had put our money into securing our borders, improving airline safety, and disaster response instead of a dead-end war, we could have gone a lot further in protecting our homeland. Instead, we have further inflamed our enemies and squandered our riches.

What we should do is what we should have done as soon as the 9/11 Commission Report came out, and implemented their recommendations. And bring our troops home where they belong.

If we put our energy into securing our homeland, they will not follow us home, because we will be protected. If this is something you really care about, you should vote Democrat on Tuesday; it's in their platform.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 4 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]343641[/snapback]</div>
    Follow us home? Someone's either not reading prior posts, or they are of the opinion violent psycho "honor to be a myrter by killing as many people as you can" nuts aren't here already. Remeber? We didn't go the county of the 911 killers, they WERE / ARE already here ... worshiping at their local mosque. Follow us home? Oh, Please. Most folks don't realize how close the local mosque is to their own home. Don't get me wrong, some muslims are pacifists / non-violent / wonderful folks. I work with a great guy, named Shafi. He, a practicing muslim acknowledges that his peaceful view, withing the muslim teaching, is the minority. This aint no, "all we gota do" sort of problem. This aint no fear and weed out the commies philosopy either. Sorry, so solution forth comming. That's why the Dem's are having a field day. Neither side has a solution. If / when Dem's gain political control again ... I wish them best of luck, but I don't hear EITHER side articulating a silver bullet. And to those who'd continue to say "Well THEIR political party started it". Oh, THAT really helps. Sorry for rambling. Think I'll go ride my bike which uses NO middle east crack cocain that funds the other side :^)

20. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prez1 @ Nov 3 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]343630[/snapback]</div>
    Not that its relevant to this thread, but congress authorized the President to go to war if necessary. The office of the President has ultimate responsability for authorizing the war and its outcome. Obviously in this case the rational to go to war and its handling were handled most incompetently.