1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will an iPhone work with the 2010 USB interface?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Faraday, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been working with Toyota support for over a month now on mine (two different phones and two different USB interface kits). They never mentioned any kind of firmware update required even though I have mentioned it several times. The only fact that they have shared is that it was only tested on the iPhone 2G (original iphone). Honestly the USB interface user interface with a flash card is pretty good. IMHO with an iphone (get to use it for a few minutes at a time) it is pretty bad.

2. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hate having a lot of wires running around. I'm really hoping that using the USB port on the console will eventually do everything, BT iPhone working simultaneously with USB (or BT) audio...all the while charging my iPhone.

3. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have myphone charging in the console from the 12V jack and a USB flash drive in the USB slot. The only down side I have is remembering to transfer the music to the USB flash drive every time I buy something new for my iphone. Yes the BT audio is connected and if I wanted to use it to hear something specific I would have to take the phone out to select it. I never do that unless I forgot to transfer something I really want to hear.

4. scotty321

scotty321 Apple Mac Expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You know, we both have the exact same setup -- I'm starting to wonder if perhaps you have a faulty USB cable?! It might be as simple as that! Have you swapped out USB cables? You're using a standard Apple 30-pin to USB cable, right? Maybe try a different one and see if that makes a difference?

My nav system also says Map Data version 9.1, and my iPhone 3GS is also running OS 3.1 7C144... just like you.

I just went into my Prius and tested this again, and the iPhone plays just fine through the USB port... i just tested it for about 30 minutes driving around, and it was just fine without any interruptions or disconnections.

My iPhone has airplane mode turned OFF, it has bluetooth turned ON (although it is not paired as a Bluetooth audio device to the Prius, it is just paired as a Bluetooth cell phone), and I am listening to music through the USB tab on the navigation system.

But even if you can't get this to work reliably for you, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I am not planning on using my USB interface AT ALL for ANY music listening at all, because the Prius' USB interface to control the iPhone/iPod is so unwieldy to use. I discuss that more in my posting here. Another downside to using the USB interface is that you can't control music through your iPod/iPhone at all... you can ONLY control using the Prius USB interface, so you have no choice but to be locked into its poor controls.

If I were you, I would just play your iPhone music via Bluetooth or the auxiliary jack, and control the whole experience from your iPhone's touch screen. In my opinion, that is a much more satisfying experience.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scotty,
    I just used a USB flashdrive today and used the Belkin mini-charger/USB cable to my iphone and it all worked fine. I may just stick with that method. I don't actually mind the USB display system...it's easy enough for me to select artists or playlists via the slider and not the up/down arrows. It's a helluva lot better than what I had before...NOTHING! ;)

6. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the USB flash drive interface is a lot better than the iPhone interface. When you are scrolling through songs on your iPhone it will start playing any song you stop on. It doesn't wait for you to select it. I would almost consider this a software bug.

7. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was in a similar situation but I think I found out what is happening between the BT and USB and Iphone. Just got my car 2 days ago. When I first set up BT and USB on my iphone (3G with latest software update) everythings works great, BT streamed really well, when I plug in USB it switches to USB and when I unplug the cable, BT plays song on immediately.

However, today USB tab shows "device is not compatible" when I plug in iphone and ipod. So I did some tests according to what everyone says in the thread.

1, I turned on airplane mode. USB reads iphone/ipod fine again.
    2, Then I delete BT pairing on Toyota. USB now works without having to go to airplane mode.
    3, I paired my iphone (both music and phone) back to BT and now everythings works again like it should. No need to go to Airplane, when I unplug USB, BT kicks in again immediately.

One thing I find BT being better is that it auto levels. I was playing with the settings at volume 02. When it's BT playing, it sounds like volume 10 instead of volume 02. When I plug in USB, the sounds lowers right back to the 'real' volume 02.

So basically everything should work fine with iphone and switch back and forth nicely. What are the steps you've done to eliminate possibilities? :confused:

8. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the "Owner's Manual 2010 Model Year Prius USB Interface" brochure (I hesitate to call two pieces of paper stapled together a "manual"!!!) it clearly states on the back page that the iPhone is NOT a compatible (audio) iPod for the USB system...hence why we're probably all getting the error message...

Flashdrives may be the best way to go...though I was hoping to be able to use that USB port to charge my phone WHILE using it for music as well.

And, in an earlier message I mislead people, I apologize. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention and thought the BT and the USB screens had the same layout. There is no way, that I'm aware, to have "playlists" on a flashdrive unit with the system...and the flashdrive is limited to only searching by Folder and File...not by Artist or Playlist.

9. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Am I the only one with iphone works with both bt and usb? i didn't not hack my phone, nor the car audio system..

10. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    pri-serious,
    You may be. It seemed to me that when my dealer set up the BT connection, that the nav system and the phone wanted to set themselves up the phone as two separate bluetooth devices- is that possible? My dealer didn't quite seem to know what they were doing in that regard- they got the phone working, but they didn't seem to quite get the BT right for the media player...I may need to go back and dig deeper on this one. But either way, I don't see why my USB tab would be available and show my iPhone music, but no sound comes out.
    I really think Toyota ought to recognize that they need to make an adjustment to their system to allow us iPhone users to use our iPhone and our iPod functionality via the USB simultaneously...heck, I'd even prefer to do the actual Voice Control of the phone that way and see if it improves the lag I seem to get with BT.

11. spietrek

spietrek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK. Yesterday I picked up my V. First thing I did was try the USB. It didn't work. I figured I would just settle for BT streaming. I setup BT for phone - no problems. Next I tried BT Audio - didn't work. Issue appeared to be because the Pin number was different between the phone and audio. I reset all BT settings, set the same pin, and tried again. Everything worked.

I was interested in seeing if the USB would still charge my phone. When I plugged it in, it did; however, I received the error that it is not compatible and if I wanted to turn on airplane mode. I said No. Immediately music started. I tried to place a call and noticed BT was not connected and asked if I wanted to connect the phone. After clicking Yes, I was connected through BT, music was still playing through USB, and I could make a phone call. The volume was low compared to BT audio but I had the volume on the phone lower. The USB did seem to pick up the information on the albums (artist, title, etc.).

It appears the only thing I need to do is ensure I connect to the phone manually by clicking the "Connect Phone" button. Reading through the list of posts for the topic, it appears others have had similar success but it didn't work the next day. We'll see how things go.

BTW, I have an iPhone 3G running 3.1.

P.S. Absolutely love the car so far. 31 miles. 20 today and averaged close to 50 (heavy traffic day).

12. aroide

aroide New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My iphone 3gs works after I get rid of the annoying warning message. I sometimes have to force it to switch from bluetooth audio to USB as others have noted.

Sound quality is BY FAR the best of all sources with USB. Not sure why, but its better than bluetooth audio from the same phone or CD (all comparisons are with lossless source).

The USB song nav navigation on the head unit is almost useless. Its REALLY slow, skips around playing different songs as you're searching, and takes more attention than just picking songs on the iphone itself. I think the processor for the nav system is pretty wimpy, but GUI could be done much better.

I'll try my ipod later and see if it behaves any differently.

13. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same thing happened to me ...Got message saying that " Device is not compatible"...
    What boggles me is this thread is a month old and no Prius Rep. of the "Prius Marketing Team" has posted an answer to why is everyone having issues..They Market that the package is compatable with Ipod...Iphone has Ipod,no need to use hocus pocus(Should people carry an Iphone for cell phone usage and an Ipod in the car for music?)..Cmon wake up people !...I hope everyone doesn't need to bring back there car to update it, if Apple decided to update there IPod/Iphone as they normally do every few months.

I use to use a cassette tape with a wire to plug into my Iphone to hear my music in my last car..Its better then what I have now since I have no cassette player and no Ipod music now !

Does anyone know If you can use A different brand Mp3 player in the car?..Maybe better to use a cheap Sandisk(Just as good)and leave it in the car all the time !

14. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just use a 16GB Flash Drive that I bought for $29.

1 person likes this.
  15. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I totally feel everyone's pain with the ipod interface on the navi screen. The factory settings are the pits and the system is just plain SLOW.

There is light though!! I am working with Vais Technology on their new VML product for the Gen 3 Prius! Their engineers are ironing out some final bugs but they hope to ship a unit to me sometime next week for initial testing before hitting the market.

The VML will increase the SPEED of ipod function overall plus add new features and get rid of the annoying features of the factory system. Using the VML you will be able to QUICKLY scan through an entire ipod full of artists, playlists, and albums in seconds - making picking your favorite artist a much faster experience. PLUS the VML will STOP the annoying feature of the factory system that automatically selects the first item in your list; so with the VML you can actually browse for new music without interrupting what you are currently listening too.

Initial testing will begin soon but I am told that new features will come based on testing. Also the unit is firmware upgradeable so new features and updates can be quickly and easily applied at any time.

Keep your eyes tuned for posts, videos, write-ups and tutorials on the VML in the near future!!!

Kevin

2 people like this.
  16. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I currently have Ipod classic, Iphone 3g, Ipod nano work fine with usb, and iphone fine with bt. I've tried to connect my 500 gig of portable hard drive containing about 80 gigs of songs. It works fine too :) I kept waiting for problems to show up, but nothing so far.

but I thought the folder system is absolutely terrible, so I went with Ipod classic, at least I can scroll through artists lists or make my own playlists. If you have hundreds of artists on you ipods as well, you can scroll up, it'll jump through faster, where as if you scroll down, it goes through the list one by one. And if you've tagged songs well, like genre, composer...etc you and also go into the genre and find folders of artists you are looking for, that might help you speed searching up a little bit.

I have a 2010 IV, so far so gooood...( just put on 3 layers of Zaino couple of days ago, it's smoooother than a baby's cheek)

17. Naturebeing1

Naturebeing1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I purchased a new 2010 Prius (MFG before Aug) which has the pin receptacle but no USB. I plan to buy a new iPhone 3Gs. I have tested the Bluetooth and contact transfer, etc on my friends iPhone 2G which works fine. My intention is to add the PTQ233-47100 Toyota Prius IPod/USB Interface Kit. Hopefully I can then have a clear phone line and also be able to access the iPhones playlist etc through the navagation system and steering wheel control.

From what I am reading on this thread am I to understand that phone may not work properly if it is a 3Gs? Has anyone had the USB interface kit installed on a 2010 and used it sucessfully with the navagation system using the iPhone? Also, I hear that the SAT feature will be disabled if one adds on the USB for use with the iPhone/iPod?? Any suggestions before I take the leap would be appreciated.

Newbie here, thanks for the help.

18. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My iPhone does that with everything. Just don't listen to it. It'll work. I've only run into one radio that my 3GS didn't work with.

19. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not true. The new interface (PT233-47100) does not disable SAT. From the kit's installation guide:

Once system is properly installed, USB, AUX, and SAT sources should be accessible
    from the Audio-Navigation head unit.

The old iPod interface (with no USB ) did disable SAT.

20. Scotdvd

Scotdvd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Kevin,

I am hoping that the VML by VAIS is all it claims to be. It sounds good. I would very much like to hear about your experience with the unit. Do you know anything about the time table for having an the unit ready for sale How can I keep track of your reports?