1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will back feeding 12v INTO the cigarette lighter cause any damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The "WHY" is a long story and not really relevant. The question is whether back feeding 12v into the cigarette lighter will cause damage?

Interestingly, when 12v is connected to the cigarette lighter, the Prius acts like it is in ACC mode. In other words, the exact same sequence occurs as if if you pressed the starter button once (beeps, radio start, etc).

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't give feedback on the question cause I don't know. The question is interesting enough to check on what's out there on the subject.

Here is one that addresses one way of backfeeding the cigarette lighter in general, not prius specific.
    https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/15893/is-it-possible-to-charge-car-battery-through-cigar-lighter-socket

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No damage some jump starters are designed to connect there. Makes for a nice comfy place in inclement weather.

(In other words the fuse does not know which way it is inserted. Can install it either way it still works).

REVVL V+ 5G ?

#3 jzchen, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks -- it still kinda bothers me that doing that causes the car to go into ACC mode by itself.

Obviously connecting 12v to the battery doesn't cause the car to go into ACC mode, so its just unnerving that connecting 12v to the cigarette lighter does. Something odd is happening.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    (You just reminded me).

There are CANBUS chargers/maintainers that use the cigarette lighter outlet. A lot of vehicles the cig lighter is disconnected unless the vehicle is at least in ACC or ON. I saw them at a friend's/acquaintance's house plugged into the cig lighter socket. In those vehicles I knew that the outlets are off unless the vehicle is in ACC or ON. So what you have plugged in must be one of these (magic to me) CANBUS enabling units.

I can see how that would be an issue if the whole car is basically awake/in ACC mode....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The accessory socket is connected to the accessory bus. If you put power into the socket, you should expect the rest of the bus to be fed as well.

Nothing mysterious about it; nothing dangerous either.

Johnny Cakes and jzchen like this.
  7. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    can you run the wipers, windows, lock/unlock, fan/ac after it's powered on (acc) via plugging in a 12v to the socket ?

8. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thinks so -- it seemed to be 100% ACC

Makes perfect sense -- thanks!

Just in case someone finds this thread via a search in the future.....

I don't want the accessory bus to be hot. I considered adding a diode, but didn't have any around. I did have the circuit board (link below) lying around, which selects a DC source based on priority and then feeds the load. It also isolates the two DC power sources. Six simple screw connections and I was done.

Thanks to all who helped!

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Indeed.
    But IF that socket is designed to go dead after the car is OFF for a while, then applying external power to it might make something "wake up" and go into ACC mode.

10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well then I think you should consider making your connection some OTHER way.
    And just got to ask:
    What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish by doing this ??