1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will battery be ok with irregular driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Novajames, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Novajames

Novajames New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My retired parents really want to get a 2017 or 18 Prius, The don’t drive much at all and have been told that it won’t be good for the battery if it’s not used regularly? Can you tell me if this is a good idea for a retired couple who live at the beach? Thanks

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What sort of kms a week? The NiMH battery in NZ & Aus cars - I've left mine for 3 or 4 days often and it's still reading the same number of bars as when I parked it - but then, I still do 2-300 km/week.

I would imagine something like 100km/week minimum should keep it going.

The only issue would be - if they're paying a premium in capital expenses, say over a new KIA Cerato or Hyundai i30 (to pick 2 random cars with similar interior and boot space), and then not driving considerable distance to amortize the higher capital in fuel savings (capital could be $10k dearer), then there's no advantage (other than knowing that the car they're driving is lower CO2 emissions).

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably a waste of money for them, but the battery will be fine. the bigger issue is the 12 volt battery, which should have a battery tender connected if the car is only driven every few days.

hybrids only pay off if you do a lot of driving. plus, repair shops are hard to find and dealers are abominable

all that being said, it's a fun car, and i don't drive much either. if they can afford it, go for it!

4. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get the mid to cheapest you can find (in that range, closer to the cheaper end) ... since they are not driving all that much.

Why does it matter buying brand new? Unless they specifically requested for it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our situation is maybe similar to your parents. It's garage stored, and I keep it hooked up to a smart charger, commencing any off day. If they have a garage that'd work for them.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they have the diverse range of models like in USA. We only get 2 options here - base and i-TECH for $8000 more - NZ could be different, but I thought I'd read somewhere that they get the same as us.

7. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kia Ora, I have been a Prius owner for 10 years (Gen 3 and Gen 4), and my usage profile is probably quite similar to your parents. Car gets quite light usage - car can stand for a week without being used. We do a 'long' round trip of about 250km every 2-3 weeks to visit mother-in-law.

No battery issues. The 12V battery in the Gen 4 is larger than in previous models, and is not used to start the car - it just runs the electronics. Personally, I wouldn't worry about a trickle charger if the car gets a reasonable run on a fortnightly basis.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It doesn't provide the oomph to turn over the engine, but if the 12 volt is dead, the car won't start.