1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will driving limited miles kill the hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ozark Man, Apr 8, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the gen 3 and 4 work similarly. discussion of 20 and 80% are beind the scenes numbers. the battery icon will show one through full bars.

if your 17 has never gone to 'full' on the icon, that is because you haven't driven it under the circumstances that would fill it.

or it is defective. but if your mpg's are good, that is unlikely.

a full 12v will reduce the need for the hybrid battery to charge it, but only a little bit at the beginning of the drive. unlikely you would notice any difference on the icon.

alanclarkeau and Ozark Man like this.
  2. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've never checked the actual mpg but the display is showing slightly over 60 every time I add gas and clear it. I usually add about $10 and never fill it because I don't drive much. In the 2 1/2 months I have owned it the mpg has gradually increased on the display. I have always driven in eco mode and use none ethanol which gave a little better mileage in my Mazda.

bisco likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Watch this video.

Ozark Man likes this.
  4. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for your help. I really like this guy's videos. He seems to really know his stuff. Anyway it seems I have the right battery for not driving many miles. Also maybe this battery is not supposed to charge all the way up to 100% because of the stability problem if it does. Thanks again.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the traction battery was full more than on rare occasions, you wouldn't be able to regenerate on braking. The battery is like an energy spring. It has to have room on both ends to be effective. If it's always empty, you'd have lots of place to store your braking energy, but then the battery can't help keep the engine at its most efficient power level. If it's always full, then it'll be a great help to the engine, but no help to the brakes. About 60% is the sweet spot, so if driving demands cause the battery to get above or below that, the car puts it back at that level at its earliest convenience. That's part of the magic that makes the Prius so incredibly fuel efficient.

Indicated full and indicated empty have to be rare events or there's no sense in having the battery. Imagine how uncomfortable the ride would be if your suspension was either fully compressed or fully extended under normal driving conditions. Actual full would be really bad and actual empty would be catastrophic.

Ozark Man and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your Prime is a plug-in isn't it? If it has the Li-on battery does it charge to 100% ?

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. That would ruin the battery in short order. Toyota doesn't let their batteries fully charge or discharge. It does charge to an indicated 100%, which is actually about 83% when I plug it in. Or, if I go down a 6,000 foot descent from a mountain, it'll regenerate up to an indicated 100%. But in normal hybrid mode driving, it's a hybrid and acts like one. Whatever charge is in the battery when I switch to HV mode is the centerline that the system wants to maintain. In EV mode driving it acts like (guess what) an EV. ;)

alanclarkeau and Ozark Man like this.
  8. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well, after three and a half months my traction battery finally went to 100 percent charge on the guage for the first time. I was coming back from my weekly trip to wally world and it went there briefly a couple times. I had even asked the "care care nut" if not quite getting to 100% was normal and he said "nothing to worry about." Anyway I sort of feel a bit better about it. I was told one time by a mechanic friend that I'm a hypochondriac about my vehicles. I am enjoying the avg. 62 MPG I'm getting. Though it may be so good because I'm using non-ethanol and paying 30 cents more a gal for it.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That may be true of SOME lithium batteries, but not all. Some designs have a definite shelf life. The design used in a hybrid would almost certainly be one that has a long life even if it is lightly used.

Ozark Man likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Full bars on the battery indicator should only happen after either lots of braking (I mean LOTS, not just more than usual.) or going down a very big hill. It should be very rare except under extreme conditions. Once it's full, you have no more regenerative braking capacity.

Ozark Man and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well, I didn't do any of that but it happened, briefly, so I guess life goes on and I'll see what happens next. From what I understand the indicator showing full doesn't mean the battery is actually completely full.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - it happens sometimes when you least expect it. I was on a motorway run yesterday and it filled right up - probably depends on traffic flow, but sometimes difficult to explain.

jerrymildred and Ozark Man like this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As Alan said, it can happen when you don't expect it. Sometime, you're just accelerating and decelerating more than you realize. That'll ratchet it up.

Ozark Man likes this.