1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Entune ever get fixed?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by GregP507, Dec 27, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As it stands, when you talk to Toyota Canada about Entune, their attitude is "too bad" for you. It only works in the lower 48 states as far as I can tell. For a corporation who defied the critics and delivered the best all-around hybrid on the market, it couldn't have been beyond the abilities of their engineers to have made Entune work properly for all their customers.

It appears as though they simply didn't care to finish the job. Very uncharacteristic of the attitude we've come to expect from Toyota.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Give me Apple CarPlay. Or for the android peeps, whatever android is calling their system for auto manufacturers to adopt. The rest (carmakers apps) I deem useless quite frankly.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you would've wanted the original Entune software in 2012. I've read several forums other than PC that have members clamouring for Entune.

First, you need cellphone coverage for data which isn't great in Canada (LTE is only available in major cities and smaller significant towns like Fort McMurray, portions of the Okanagan Valley, 4G elsewhere and except for Rogers only where SK gets GSM/EDGE coverage except Saskatoon/Regina which are in 4G HSPA+).

Secondly, there was a monthly subscription for it (gone now) so you were asking people to pay extra for a service that may be spotty in parts of Canada.

*Thirdly, voice activation doesn't work for Entune Apps (the same one used for navigation and phone). Only Bing has voice search but you have to launch the Bing App then press the microphone button.

Four, most of the apps are locked out while in motion.

As far as I can gather, the most useful app is Bing Search as it's more intuitive than the built-in nav (I haven't figured out how to voice search for a business with the Denso nav unit). And the features that 2012-2014 Canadian owners want were really just HD Traffic via your phone's data (6.1" Display Audio units only) and they were mostly in the Golden Horseshoe region. 7" Denso units still require an XMNavTraffic subscription.

*Edit: Apparently the 3rd point has been fixed on the 2014 Entune Multimedia Systems. See video for demonstration

#3 Tideland Prius, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota would be smart to get out of something they have no interest in. Adopt Blackberry's QNX system and have integration with Carplay and whatever as the main driver. I've had no issue with the built-in navigation, but I wasn't going to spend more on a phone plan just to drive senseless apps I don't need. Ford did the right thing, finally, after having hoards of unhappy customers, many of which jumped on the failed My Ford Touch system just because. I'd appreciate money being spent on the car itself, which I'll agree many have gotten away from. Glitz sells, technology sells. But given the rear speaker problems, I fail to see where Entune is a major problem.

5. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair though, almost every carmaker's car app sucks, except for possibly Tesla's because they update it constantly and through wifi. While I like the theory behind Entune, it works so slow that finding gas prices is much faster on gasbuddy's app, and weather information is faster if I search it on my smartphone than rely on Entune.

On a related note, I find it incredibly stupid how you have to buy an expensive DVD to update the navigation system (last time I checked it was almost $200 for the latest one). Sure, you only have to do it every few years, but a smartphone app map is a lot easier to use and as far as I recall updates on its own for free.

I read that Ford was going to design their next app in-house instead of using Microsoft's stuff because of the crappy reviews MyFord Touch got. Hopefully Toyota does similar improvements for Entune, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Their app divisions are probably the neglected red-headed stepchild that gets scraps for funding compared to the ones that work on engines.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Until all autos are equipped with "Hot Spots", it's a waste. Paying $40 a month for a distraction while driving just is not worth it!