1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Gen 2's drive forever?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yurtdweller, Dec 1, 2017.

1. yurtdweller

yurtdweller New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've always been a mercedes diesel nut for the fuel efficiency and mileage that they rack up on the odometer. 200k.....300k, 500k!
    I own a prius and at 180k, I don't see any sign of it stopping.
    Now I'm looking at adding a second to my fleet. I'm a cheapskate, so used high mile units are for me. I'm seeing so many examples of 2 and 300k mile cars that I'm starting to wonder if mileage really matters on these cars.

My take:
    The gasser runs much less than a non hybrid. It should last many miles more.
    Rust *could* be an issue.
    Suspension, bushings, brakes, bearings are consumables and easy to replace.
    Battery failure seems a concern but not a deal breaker.
    I'm Ok doing my own work so long as I don't need to take a loan for the tools needed to perform the work.

What am I missing? What are the coffin nails on these high mileage gen 2's priced $2-$3k?
    And who's got one for sale ;)

#1 yurtdweller, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some burn oil which if you keep up to date with, not really a problem. Biggest problem is the battery which really isn't too much of a problem. Everything is pretty solid, and getting a car to go 150k miles or more with close to zero maintenance is how the Prius works.

3. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 280000 on mine and it was a solid runner. It had been ran low on oil when we first got it (not realizing how it would burn through it) so we knew we had the possibility of some considerable wear on the block, rings, head etc. We put 120000 miles on it after the incident without problems. But it started to lose HP and you could hear the lifters a bit more than I liked so we swapped out the engine. Unfortunately with the replacement engine is coming new problems we had not anticipated but the parts are cheap and the labor is easy with a little common sense you can keep these running for a very long time

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a 2005 with a bad transaxle with 150k miles, I also bought a 2006 with a bad transaxle with 250k miles.

If you're ok with those things, then it's good to buy high mileage prius cars. They're pretty cheap to buy when they're broken.

5. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just eyeballing 1 on local CL the other day for $500.00 for a 2006 that "needed a motor" hmmm, I can do that. But I better finish this candy bar first........

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $500 is a good deal, even for parts

7. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trust me, if I had a place to store it I would have snatched it right up!

8. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Of course as virtually any Toyota would run almost forever especially if take care of them. How ever, Hybrid electric cars weren't ment to last 15 to 20 years without needing a Hybrid Battery replacement as its not fault tolerance. Hybrid batteries are planned obsolescence components. The average life span is roughly 10 years. Inveter pumps are common to go out but electronics are bullet proof reliable as Denso makes some of the most reliable automotive electronics on the market. Toyota has been using Denso for decades as they rarely have electrical problems. The eCVT Transaxle are also bullet proof reliable and much more reliable than automatics. I still see a few 1st Gen Priuses still on the road going strong as most of them have already had the hybrid battery replaced. It's very hard to kill a Toyota. Jemery Clarkson failed to kill a Hilux.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.