1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will getting oil change make my check engine light go away?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Feb 5, 2015.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very simple situation -- my check engine light went on tonight for the first time (I tightened the gas cap and that didn't make it go off). I have 81,000 miles and turns out I am in need of an oil change (last one was at 76k and I usually get it every 5k miles).

I have the hardest and most important test of my life coming up in 1.5 weeks (PhD oral qualifying exam) and I was hoping to lock myself in, study hard, and not have to deal with any life-distractions. However, I would be ok going in for a standard oil change which I need anyway if I knew it would make my light go away. But otherwise I was wondering if I could hold off addressing the potential problem (oil change or dealer maintenance to address light) for the next 2 weeks. Interested in what you guys have to offer. Thanks a lot!

#1 macmaster05, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    unlikely the oil change is gonna turn off the cel. some places will scan codes for free so you can figure out whats wrong. or a cheap codes reader from the parts store would be a good thing to have.

macmaster05 likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If something temporary like that was the problem, then the light will not go out immediately when the problem is fixed. The light will stay on for several on-off cycles before eventually clearing.

macmaster05 likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...
    I think you correctly surmise that your focus needs to be on the upcoming test.
    Therefore why do anything that "could" become a distraction?

I know this is Prius Chat, but your life is your life and The Prius is just a vehicle.

I kinda assume that if you are "locking yourself in" to study hard, then you won't be doing a lot of driving anyway.

Lock yourself in, study hard, drive as little as possible, pass the exam and THEN go get an oil change and worry about what might be causing the check engine light.

The vehicular problems no matter how potentially simple or complicated can wait.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And very simple answer. Take a look at the dipstick!

Only if the oil is critically low (well below the low mark on the stick) would it be likely to cause an "check engine" warning.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pull the stick.
    If the oil volume is significantly low, then just top it off.
    If not then put tape over the CEL for the 2 weeks that you'll be boning up for the dissertation.
    As stated above, you shouldn't be driving very much during this time anyway.
    (be sure and let us know how it goes.)

uart likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this a "check engine" light or "maintenance req" light? At 5000 miles, the maintenance light should be lit as a reminder for the oil change.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...but he needs to concentrate on the test. IF he checks the dipstick and for some reason it is abnormally low...that gives him a distraction he doesn't need right now.

I say put everything on hold...that you can put on hold until after the test.

As long as this upcoming test isn't tied to driving a whole lot in the next few weeks. Keep the Prius parked and study.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I drive to work (school) everyday 20 miles round trip, so yeah, it's sort of related. Don't want my car to break down on exam day (or prior)!

When I parked this morning I looked under the car and noticed a drip coming directly from under the passenger seat. Could this be the cause or is it normal? Tomorrow at 8am I am going in for an oil change at my usual place (Firestone) and they said they can read the light for me, just to know if it's serious or not.

#9 macmaster05, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the gas cap was not tight, that's your problem, and you're good to go. hit the books!(y) edit, missed your post, have them look at the leak, leaks are not normal. however i would check the oil level before driving. what mileage was your last oil change?

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That does change the equation a bit.

Because you don't want to risk permanent or increasing damage to your car.

When you say "a drip" a drip of what?
    Water, Oil?

I hesitate to say this, but I have a horrible history with Firestone. Maybe it was just an isolated incident, but I vowed I would never take a vehicle to them ever again.

In short...doing work without my authorization.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And what if he needs to scratch his arse. Should he put that off until after the test too?

Pulling the dipstick and taking a look would have taken the OP less time than to post this thread!

If the oil is ok then that's one distraction out of the way, he knows that there's no need for the larger distraction of going for an oil change. If on the other hand the oil is critically low then that actually saves him from the enormous distraction that seizing the engine in his Prius would be at this time.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure if it's oil or water? I didn't stick my hand under there, just observed it.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I'll check the oil level tonight before I drive home.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometime I get drips of condensation from the aircon condenser after I've shut down the car. Put your hand under and catch a drop if you see it again. It's pretty easy to distinguish oil from water once you have a drop in your hand.

Get them to check all the coolant levels (in the actual radiator and not just in the expansion tank) when you take it in.

16. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I disagree. I've had plenty of Prii roll into my shop with only a quart of oil in them and the check engine light off.

17. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What if it is LESS than a quart ?
    And why is the OP seemingly totally ignoring the advice that he check the oil level ??
    I think next semester should include "Auto Maintenance 101".

uart likes this.
  18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if its less than a quart its already gonna be knocking its brains out.
    but you got to be a complete idiot if you don't check your oil level sometimes.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Said it in post #14 I'll check it later tonight.

bisco likes this.
  20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Running critically low on oil can definitely cause the engine to overheat, and this does indeed cause an engine check light condition.

So is that the consensus here guys. Never look at the dipstick under any circumstances, even if the check engine light is on? I guess I must just be weird or something, because I never realised that taking 60 seconds to pull the stick and take a look was that much of a drama. :confused:

#20 uart, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    vskid3 likes this.