1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will hybrid battery from 2005 prius work in 2014 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AmandaMcG, Jan 20, 2018.

1. AmandaMcG

AmandaMcG New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius is old and beat up. However, I just put a new hybrid battery in it 50,000 miles ago. I’m wondering if I can take out the hybrid battery in the 2005 and save it in case I knew need a new battery for my next Prius. I will most likely be buying a 2014 to replace the 2005. Is there any difference between the hybrid battery in the 2005 and the 2014 Prius?

Also, if they are the same, if anyone happens to know how much it would cost to get a qualified person to remove the old hybrid battery from the junker car, that information would be helpful as well. Thanks!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume you bought a new battery and not a "remanufactured" one.
    The whole pack would not work in the Gen 3 but you can remove the individual modules and put them in the Gen 3 pack, basically accomplishing what you wish.

m.wynn, Danny3xd and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, as said, it can be done but no. The 2014 battery won't need attention for many years but by then the 2005 batt will be in poor shape from sitting all that time.

You will get much more for the 05 by selling it with the good battery than as a non-running car. I had a co-worker quickly sell a non-running 06 with 300+ k miles that was a real POS but he still got $2k for it because it had a 2 year old Toyota replacement battery. He was getting no bites on the CL ad until I told him to add in the battery information and then it sold within 2 days. FWIW

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    saving batteries isn't a good idea. pocket the money for your future 2014 needs.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man! Foto & Bisco. Made feel a lot better about just selling my old '05 with the new battery.

I was feelin' kinda dumb.

Thanks, both.

m.wynn and Prodigyplace like this.