1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Hybrid Corolla make Prius Better?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert N Lute, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I think that they've got a good plan for its intro. While it's "only" a Corolla, it's actually a pretty decent sized car, having pretty much the same dimensions and volumes as a Camry of ~20+ years ago. In the LE trim level, you get this cool "little" car for $23k or so -- all while getting about 50 mpg. I think it'll sell. Might even sell to a decent number of people who find the Prius too "out there" for their taste. It amazes me how, almost twenty years into the Toyota hybrid saga, so many people see the Prius only as a statement they blindly insist they don't want to make -- while never stopping to consider that it's grown into a very solid, practical and useful car (without regard to what makes it go. . .).

Tideland Prius, krmcg and padroo like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You bring up a good perspective. For $23k ($3k more than the 2001 Prius or about the same if you take inflation into account), you get a much improved car over that 2001 Prius sedan.

In Canada, the Corolla Hybrid (yet to be priced) will be cheaper than that 2001 Prius. It was CAD$29,995 while the new Corolla will be (my guess) around $25,000.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you're referring to the COROLLA SEDAN (saloon to the Brits). I assumed that the logical replacement for PRIUS c would be COROLLA Hatch Hybrid - which isn't really much bigger than a "c". I looked at a "c" when I bought Samantha - and I couldn't really understand it. It wasn't much different in size to the YARIS - but totally different when you looked at them side by side.

PRIUS c was built on the same platform as the previous COROLLA (which YARIS isn't) - which might be why, with COROLLA migrating to TNGA platform, they're pensioning PRIUS c off. But that would only make sense to replace it with COROLLA Hatch - not Sedan.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that the hatch is marketed as the sporty young person’s car here in North America so that’s probably why there’s no hybrid version. If they do bring it over, they’ll probably bring the 2.0 litre version since performance is a higher priority than fuel efficiency.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange - here, the hatch is available with Hybrid in all grades - but no hybrid on the Sedan at all. A marketing game, obviously. Same with the wagon - it's just not here at all, neither hybrid or petrol.

ETP and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is my guess on strategy:
    When Toyota came out with the Hybrid Camry, I assumed the Prius would take the place of a Hybrid Corolla.
    The Prius v was introduced to promote a larger vehicle while using the Prius name.
    The Hybrid RAV4 sales showed that a Hybrid SUV is nor mainstream so the Prius v is no longer needed.
    The PiP was introduced under duress as a PHEV. The Prius Prime has taken that to the next level.
    The Hybrid Corolla is an attempt to make a Hybrid car more mainstream. If that happens, perhaps it will replace the Prius.
    The next logical step would then me a Prius EV to showcase the EV and compliment the Prius Prime PHEV.

It might be possible...The Prius is supposed to "go before" ;)

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A comparison on Australian Govt's Green Vehicle Guide shows that they are quite different:
    upload_2019-3-2_10-27-34.png

8. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Sat in a new Corolla today and the rear leg room is terrible.

I am 5ft 11inches and my knees were rammed into the back of the seat sitting behind my driving position. The Tourer was much better, but still not as good as my Prius.

It feels very high quality and lots of squishy surfaces, but it feels very tight inside compared.

Lightning Racer and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Corolla 1.8 has Li-ion HV battery and 2.0 has NiMh. That may make space difference.
    Image from Finnish Toyota site, but should make sense
    8FF1EF13-161C-4548-A679-EBF5DAB29F71.jpeg

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius sales were hurt by gas prices and styling, but I don't see Toyota dumping their flagship hybrid.
    Plug-in hybrids like the Prime have always felt like a poor value to me, unless you drive low miles.
    I agree with Prodigyplace, the hybrid Corolla will be mainstream like the hybrid Camry and Avalon.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  11. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the scenario is that they going to get rid of the the Prius line up altogether. Because the Corolla matches up with the Prius and people probably by the sedan. And the Prius isn't doing well in sales. Remember the commercials a couple of years ago Prius go Prius you don't see those anymore. Haven't seen one advertisement for the Prius at all Toyota commercials. I own a prime and I love my Prime but the new Corolla comes with newer Toyota safety sense and the Prime 2020 is the same no changes. This makes me to believe that they're putting all the money in the Corolla. Toyota said that by 2020 to 2021 that all there cars will be hybrids.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is why I suggested they may come out with a Prius EV to lead Toyota into pure electric vehicles.

ed4271 likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble is - the new Corolla is pathetically small inside - nothing like the PRIUS. Refer Comment #68 - I'm not the only one who though that.

I certainly wouldn't consider a Corolla when I replace my PRIUS later this year - unless they bring the Wagon Hybrid by then.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok those that are saying that the Corolla has newer stuff and the updated Prius means that they’ve given up on the Prius, don’t know how car generations work. Ok yes Tea goes against the grain with OTA but note that just means they have the same car that is 7 years old in design (2012 Model S).

This also implies that those same people think that Toyota is giving up on the Camry and Avalon since both have TSS-P.

(Or let’s take it back a few years. The 2010 Prius had the latest infotainment just because the timeline worked out but the 2011 midlife updated Corolla didn’t get the new stuff. Did that mean Toyota was giving up on the Corolla back then? It didn’t even get the updated 2012 infotainment system. It had to wait for the 2014 version).

alanclarkeau and ekpolk like this.
  15. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Corolla Hatch has shorter wheelbase than Sedan or TS (Europe), the 2.0 hybrid has the 12V battery in the boot (both HB and TS) so even smaller boot size.

16. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yes I knew about the shorter wheelbase, but why not let the hatch have the longer wheelbase, it's going to put off so many people.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, have no idea why they did that. Maybe they wanted to make a smaller car for European and Asian market?

18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looks like the market shifted a few years back an now everyone is playing catch up. Hatch back/SUVs are the main vehicles people are shopping for these day and the car has seen it's better days.
    The car is not a useful vehicle and wastes precious space.
    Trucks need to be downsized and made more fuel efficient. Bring back the mini trucks of the 70's.

BTW/ avatar is the first car ever made (although a mass produced one was in 1885/around 1873 for the prototype).
    Benz Patent-Motorwagen - Wikipedia

Assembly line - Wikipedia

Moving assembly line.

#78 ETP, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is that they wanted the hatch to be the sportier option so the shorter wheelbase allows for a more agile vehicle and it can double (for marketing purposes) as an urban vehicle - easy to park and drive in urban centres.

Harters and kithmo like this.
  20. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My Prius was at the local dealer last week for 35 k service. I saw the new corolla hybrid arriving on the lot, still had the plastic on the fenders, but the wheel covers were off(old school Prius 15” rims). They look good. My guess is that is one of the new vehicles in Toyota new TNGP platform along with the new Camry, rav4, other vehicles, and probably all hybrids. I hope they sell millions

krmcg likes this.