1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will I damage by driving?, p3015

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greg B, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Master warning light, malfunction/ check engine indicator, and red car with exclamation mark. Code p3015.

Had the back cooler fan running temporarily.. any damage driving it, seems perfectly normal..

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't know if the Gen II code is the same, but here's the Gen III code:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 5.19.29 PM.png

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You will probably be Ok for a few more days or weeks, but the condition of the battery will only get worse. At some point, the car will refuse to move, and you could be stranded. It's best to start reading the threads in this forum to educate yourself about HV battery refurbishment or replacement, because that is what eventually will be needed.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah that's one of the inner cell packs they run the hottest. Very common failure code. Welcome to the failed G2 hybrid battery pack its becoming the #1 post on this site.

Not driving the car has killed them all plus killed lots of 12 volt battery's. AAA is very busy these days jumping cars.

Its on life support now and is in limp mode. Soon it will not start. The car is a brick without a good hybrid battery. It will not start without a good hybrid battery.Its cold out. Don't get stranded.

Start reading about all the battery's.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Not that a makes a lick of difference, but there should be additional codes (DTCs). Which OBD2 scanner/software are you using?

6. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota read the codes

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership did a vehicle diagnostic, and they provided you with a receipt / repair estimate that included a single DTC; P3015?

How much did the dealership want for a new HV battery with or without installation?

Do you have DIY mechanic skills, or would you be relying on others to fix or swap out the HV battery and clean the HV fan?

Best not to rabbit start or stop the vehicle quickly in its current state, how often and how many miles were you looking to drive it?

8. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes just the single code on the recipient.

they wanted $2900 to install plus tax. No price for battery only

I am not mechanically gifted at all.. I would be relying on others.

it is my daily driver, basically to work and back.. 30-45 miles per day( city driving).

Id love it lasted for 6 months or more.

9. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, now all the warning lights on the dash are off, but still reads the p3015... seems fine now... kinda expect the lights to come back
    On anytime..

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles are on this vehicle, and how long have you owned it?

Is your current HV battery the original OEM, or was it replaced with something else?

You might be able to carefully stretch it for 6 months (not recommended), but you should be aware of the risks involved with such.
    How are you pulling the OBD2 codes (DTCs), what is the device/app being used, or did you take it back to the dealership?

FYI: you're moderated until five (5) posts.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ancel ad410. 150,000 miles, I bought 2 yrs ago, some of the battery cells were replaced by the owner who sold it to me..

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be time to upgrade from the stand alone scanner, you can try a bluetooth adapter with an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant. You may also consider a mini-vci cable (20usd) and techstream (dealer technician software) on a windows device. If going the BT route, then read up on compatible/quality adapters at : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Since you have a set of mixed HV battery modules, you may not get another 6 months out of it. Best practice would be to start it up, then let it warm up until it 'cycles off' before first moving it, then drive it slowly, including starting and stopping. Driving with a failing / failed module will increase the degradation of the other modules. Realize that it could leave you stranded at any time, and that one or more of the modules could 'pop' or explode inside the HV battery pack.

Most would recommend against a 'rebuilt' or refurbished pack, you might inquire with @Paul Schenck to see if there are local options.

You can also buy a new set of aftermarket modules for 1600 (total), which includes free shipping. There is another option that costs less, but consists of 'used' modules and a warranty from a respected business in Texas. If a claim was needed, shipping is expensive.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I left a message with Paul, thank u for the referral.
    I’ll look into upgrading to a Bluetooth reader.

I was looking into green bean, which uses used batteries( I don’t like that ) $1400

green auto tech( I cant remember exactly) they install a new battery, and a re mobile, but they are almost as expensive as Toyota dealership.$ 2700

or Toyota dealership $3000.( I feel would give me the longest most reliable driving fix) but expensive.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  14. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, sooo... now it has very little power from stop, 0-60 in 3minutes.. on the screen with the engine / battery , there zero arrows going to or from the battery, it’s feels like it not charging it or using the battery power..
    is this a fail safe to protect the battery bank, or is this “failure of battery?”

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a failure of the HV battery, basically you are running on just the engine now. What is the HV battery SOC at?

Best to avoid the greenbean and greentecauto offerings, very few have had a successful experience. Search for related threads.

Here is the used/new Texas option, which includes round trip shipping : Services | Hometown Hybrids

Here is a the 1600 new aftermarket option : http://www.newpriusbatteries.com/

Send me a PM (start a conversation) if you can, as I can't initiate one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s in limp mode. Battery is fubar.

I bought a new Prius battery’s system works great $1600 delivered.
    You install.

newpriusbatterys.com

17. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I lack any mechanical skill, I’d be too afraid to try install something electrical... the price looks great, and I like the new battery idea...
    I don’t know anyone here who can install it...
    maybe San Francisco, I’ll do some looking...
    And mobile installers reputable??

18. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you, Fresno? Ive got a spare battery pack
    As you’ll see from other posts 26 of the 28 batteries in your pack may be good. To replace them all for $2600 instead of the two ($60) that are causing the heat problem is a mistake I wouldn’t make.
    It would be one thing if you got to keep the 26 good batteries to sell on eBay at $30 each, but that $700 is exchanged.

It’s just a bad deal and because so many are intimidated by the Prius Batteries it makes a good business to do the green bean exchange.
    They make $1400 and get a battery pack in exchange, replace the $60 bad cells, balance them and put a green cover on it and exchange it for $1400.
    That’s a $1340 for 2 hours of work, isn’t it!

You’re free to choose though, It’s America

iPhone ?

#18 Paul Schenck, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  19. Greg B

Greg B New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an iPhone Paul and I live in Clovis. I don’t really want to do the Toyota dealership route, way too expensive, and I lack the skills to buy and install a new battery.. You mentioned u have a spare battery pack, what does that mean to a novice? And it sound like green bean might be a good option for my situation? Am I reading that correctly?
    I am happy that u might know the Fresno Prius resources and would love to get some guidance regarding the battery situation.
    Would that be okay Paul?

20. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can text 310-560-7615 I’ll help.

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.