1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will I get a speeding ticket for going 60mph in a 65?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jrjrdinh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On average speeds bellow 30 and after 60 is where you would get the most variations in fuel economy. In other words, between 30 and 60 MPH the differences in MPG is a lot more subtle, so it does make sense to keep at 60 MPH to improve efficiency as opposed to 65.

Now, I can't imagine someone getting a ticket for going 5 under the limit, at least in Indiana... that would be ridiculous…

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note that they are both the same code number. Why it's in the list twice, with a very minor modification, is a mystery.

Tom

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In northern California, the typical speed on freeway is 75 in non rush hour traffic. Semis are traveling at 65-70. If you are doing 55, the semi will be 10 ft behind your butt.

4. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless posted, I don't think you can get a ticket for going TOO slow. I can't believe that a state expects you to go a speed limit. I mean, look at the actual word "LIMIT". It does not say "MINIMUM". If it does, of course you have to follow that rule. If you do speed, a ticket is sure to follow. If you have not had a traffic ticket in some time, the judge may allow you to attend traffic school online course and then the ticket can be waived and all you had to do was just pay for the court fees and the cost of the online course. Good luck to you.

5. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In at least California and Colorado (places that I've lived and checked the laws) driving on the highway in the left most traffic lane below the speed of prevailing traffic is against the law. Even if the speed of prevailing traffic is above the posted speed limit.

That being said I have no knowledge of how stringently those laws are being enforced in either place...

6. Silent Propulsion

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been driving 60 on the interstate with the limit at 75 if I can help it. If I'm impeading traffic than I will do the limit. This is mostly since aquiring my new Prius. A few months ago I was cautioned for driving 57 in a 75 at 10pm. The officer couldn't understant why. I was driving a 7 passenger minivan with a 4 liter v6 by myself to work. In the desert. At night.

I think the funny part will be if/when I'm pulled over again and cited for excessive use of precious resources! The one time was in a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and the cop car was a Ford Crown Victoria with a 5 liter v8!

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some places have minimum speed limits on limited access roads. Regardless of the law, driving significantly slower than the prevailing traffic is stupid because it is downright dangerous. It is too easy for a faster driver to not realize how slow you are going and rear end you, or more likely, his defensive action causes havoc behind you (and accidents) while you drive on, oblivious to the havoc that you have caused.

It is especially crazy in the left lanes of the freeway! Keep right except to pass!

Icarus

8. trashcan

trashcan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in San Jose and drive 70mph most of the time..average out 50mpg. Tried driving 60-65 but still only getting average 50mpg...so..no point of driving 60mph in San Jose. :rolleyes:

9. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you create a dangerous situation, you should be ticketed, even if what you're doing is otherwise technically legal.

Personally, I believe that a lot more accidents are created by passive-aggressive drivers (who create backups) than by the mythical aggressive driver. In all my years of driving, I've seen two or three truly aggressive drivers -- where you feel scared when they go by -- while I've seen many passive-aggressive drivers who cause backups that last for a LONG time after they've taken their exit (usually from the left lane where they've been cruising, across 3 lanes at the last minute to exit).

Not saying that the OP is a passive-aggressive driver. Just saying that driving slower than necessary creates a dangerous situation -- the acuteness of the danger depending on many factors. It's perhaps understandable if you are carrying a load, or your car has a problem of some sort, but to save a few pennies in gas money?

10. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He probably suspected you were going to pick up some illegal aliens.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different people, and different regions, have different standards for aggressive driving. What is considered normal in some areas is considered extreme aggression in others. And that is just within this country, which has a very narrow behavioral range compared to the overall collection of countries I have visited.

I see behavior that easily falls within the local State Patrol's public description of aggressive driving multiple times per day. And this is not one of the more aggressive portions of the nation.

12. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Speed alone is often not the only issue. Safety, like frequent lane changing, weaving, following too close, etc. are often significant factors in attracting "attention".

Many states have (or had) laws requiring you to drive to the right (unless passing), and prohibiting passing on the right.

However, on many freeways, driving in the rightmost lane is less safe, due to a lot of merging traffic.

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oops, never mind. My comment has already been stated several times by others (that trucks and autos with trailers are limited to 55 mph, so how could it be dangerous to be going 60 mph in the right lane)??

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Of course that is true. And that is not what this discussion is about. If you create a dangerous situation, you are NOT doing something that is technically legal.

Wow. What is "slower than necessary?" What is a necessary speed?

I typically drive slower than the average freeway jockey to save resources and increase safety for my passengers and the others around me. My fuel costs me nothing.