1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will I save money?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by offroad4x4yota, Jun 19, 2007.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 19 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]464852[/snapback]</div>
    You don't think the engine puckers up with fear, increasing pumping loses? :rolleyes:

Tom

2. offroad4x4yota

offroad4x4yota New Member

I pushed some numbers around including my insurance, current car value, gas savings, prius price, and I dont think I would save money in the end. My current car gets good enough mileage where its not killing me to the point that the prius would save me any money. So I think I will be sticking with my current car. Thanks for all the input.

3. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well bear in mind that it's not just an issue of immediate economics. There are very clear environmental advantages to running a Prius instead of the 'average' car, some technical advantages since the car's energy recovery systems helps reduce brake wear, hybrid power sources mean there's no starter or alternator to wear out, continuously variable transmission should be less prone to issues, and not least, that there is great potential in reaping far better fuel-efficient advantages from modifying driving techniques than could be obtained with conventional vehicles.

Additionally, since the Prius IS more fuel efficient, the longer it is kept, the more miles driven and the higher fuel prices rise, the more economic benefit there is to owning one.

4. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Between my tC and the Prius, the Prius saves me an average of $50/mo over the tC. Of course the car payment is more for the prius, but my insurance dropped $60/mo and gas bill was cut in 1/2.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(offroad4x4yota @ Jun 20 2007, 05:19 AM) [snapback]465129[/snapback]</div>
    A used car (or your present car, which amounts to the same financially) is generally the cheapest transportation. The Prius, being a semi-luxury car, is too expensive to provide the cheapest lifetime cost per mile. On the other hand, you get a lot of value, other than gas savings, for your money. I always advise people against buying a new Prius if lifetime cost per mile is their only consideration. I advise people to buy a Prius if they are looking for more, and can afford it.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 20 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]465138[/snapback]</div>
    Hahahahahaaa... :lol: :lol: Yes, when compared to that dodge powerram that Simon and Simon used in the tv show of the early 80's, the prius is a 'semi-luxury' car.

The cheap interior is what really sets it off, and the cheap tires, monotone paint job, and.... well, the overall cheapness of the whole car really is what gives it a 'semi' rating in the luxury car category.

Mine loses points for the rattle in the airbag above my left ear.

7. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 20 2007, 06:13 AM) [snapback]465138[/snapback]</div>

????????????????? the prius is NOT a luxury car... it's a NICE car..... it has some nice amenities.... but with everything it's MISSING... it's far from luxury!

8. offroad4x4yota

offroad4x4yota New Member

If I wanted luxury I would buy a Lexus IS300.

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Jun 19 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]464829[/snapback]</div>
    I said "often at 80 mph". Its impossible to tell at every speed increment. The overall is right at 50 mpgs. I drive thru the Pasadena hills (210 fwy) there are lots of areas where I see 99.9 at 80 gliding downhill. The point is that I just drive with the traffic (slower than some), and the mileage is great, and certainly acceptable without limiting yourself to 55, 65, or whatever. My last tank was 51.34 (actual numbers, not MFD). It takes me about 45 minutes to commute 45 miles. Obviously not 80 all the way.

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(offroad4x4yota @ Jun 20 2007, 07:19 AM) [snapback]465129[/snapback]</div>
    As you noted you might not come out ahead from a financial standpoint depending on how much you can sell you car for and you much it cost to purchase the replacement car. You said you don't like VW's but I would recommend you consider a Jetta TDI wagon or Golf TDI. The TDI's are much better that the gas engines and the gasoline engines and you should stay away from anything made at the Mexico plant. Those would be the the Jetta sedan and New Beetle. Consumer Report does not separate the gas from the diesel cars. My Jetta TDI wagon has averaged 49 mpg over it's 140K miles and hasn't had any reliability issues.

The real solution to your problem is living closer to where you work. Yes, it may cost more and you may have to settle for a smaller home, but is the long run you will come out ahead. Really, do you want to sped 2 to 3 hours per day driving to work? You must be spending at least 12 hours per day travel to or at work. What happens when fuel continues to get more and more expensive over the next 5 to 10 years? Sell now while someone still wants to buy something way out in the suburbs / exurbs.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 20 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]465180[/snapback]</div>
    I never said it was a Lexus. But there have been no rattles in mine since I took the garage-door opener out of the cup holder, and the interior is extremely nice. No, it's not a Lexus. That's why I said semi-luxury. It is head and shoulders above an economy car, at a third the cost of my sister's Lexus.