1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will I void the extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NinnJinn, Jan 13, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I certainly do!

Toyota UK have introduced an extended HV battery warranty if you get them to check the battery every 10,000 miles - free if done during a service.

I went to the local city the other day and my HV battery overheated - again. I went down a steep hill into the city and all battery bars lit up despite using B mode. The car then drove on electric only trying to remove this charge, but I then stopped at some traffic lights. The HV battery level went from 8/8 to 7/8 and then normal 6/8 and then 20 seconds later without moving and without a/c being used it dropped to 2/8 and the engine fired up. The car ran with the engine running for quite some time and it took a long time for the HV to top back up to 6/8. Fuel economy was fine, there were no warning lights and the main dealers said the HV battery was totally fine when they checked it at last service in October, but it certainly sounds like it's on its way out to me :(

Some say the Euro HV batteries used grade B stock and hence originally only offered a 60,000 mile warranty, whereas US models got the grade A stock to comply with the 10 year/150,000 mile warranty.

My mileage is 79,300. Hardly high.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GC the Prius does occasionally go through a sort of HV battery balance. This may hopefully be what you witnessed being charged completely then discharged. Lets hope so.

John (Britprius)

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've seen it do the odd balance a number of times in the past, but the issue I've described seems to only happen after a long down hill stretch. There was another time when in Bradford when the battery did the same then - totally full, normal and then a very very quick drop from 6/8 bars to 2/8 and ages to get back up.

In my normal commute on the flat the car is ok, but I am getting wary driving to Leeds or Bradford incase one day the dreaded red triangle comes up. Better make sure the new warranty is in place first :)

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GC Have you confirmed with your dealer regarding this extended battery guarantee, and at what cost?
    My dealer denies all knowledge of this even though I gave him a printout of the Toyota add for it which strangely gave distances in kms.
    I now cannot find this online, but I am sure it was part of the Auris hybrid add but saying it applied to all Toyota hybrids.
    My Prius is around 150 miles short of 100,000 miles. So I would like to get this sorted if the cost is reasonable.

John (Britprius)

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Britprius likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks that is just what I was looking for, and it's free.

John (Britprius)

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It gives the impression it's upto 10 years unlimited mileage so long as you get it checked.

I'm assuming/hoping that as I have a full service history that I'll be ok. If I were you I might be tempted to double check or pay £39 for them to check the car and at least give you peace of mind in the coming years.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I to have a full set of stamps in the book. My service is not due till May, but I am thinking if I pay the £39 now and have it checked, if they fail it it is still under guarantee, or they pass it and give me another 10,000 miles. As I said in my previous post I have only about 150 miles left on my 100,000 guarantee, but thinking about it it will be cheaper to have the service done now and get the check free.

John (Britprius)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't understand what value this health check provides, besides verifying that the inverter coolant pump is operational. That is the only hybrid system issue that I can think of, which if ignored, can turn into a bigger problem.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree, but I am not going to turn down a 10,000 mile or 1 year free extension to the HV battery for up to ten years for nothing. If I have the check done before the end of my 100,000 mile guarantee I cannot loose.

John (Britprius)

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand that as an owner, it makes sense to get the warranty extension. I can also see that there is a marketing motivation for Toyota UK to offer this, as a way to get owners to visit their Toyota dealers for servicing.