1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Insurance Write Off my 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Jul 5, 2018.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sweet. If you could keep doing this you'd be in a Bentley in a year or so, lol.

bisco likes this.
  3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the trick is avoiding injury...actually some people may suggest otherwise.

Just dropped the Prius off at a friend who is going to do the body work for me - I thought at least get someone with experience to take a shot at the repairs. He'll fix what can be fixed and replace anything else. I'm leaving the dented coolant heat storage tank as is. I've agreed to pay him $1200 for the repairs. The Inspection to roadworthy the car and get a rebuilt title is $100. So all in all, if everything goes as planned (never does, but holding hope), the salvage purchase and repairs should be about $2500.

BTW, anyone recognize this part/sensor? It was clipped into the red/white wiring shown in the photo...

prt1.jpg

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

rogerthat likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    BTW, anyone recognize this part/sensor?

Most likely belongs to one of the pumps/control valve in that area. I can take a look at my 2007 parts car when I get back. I have the driverside headlight removed, so I have a pretty clear view of all the items in there.

Considering the amount of damage to the heat storage tank, you may want to look at the control valve mounted to the bottom of it. That may be a chunk of it that got ripped off. If so, you aren't going to be reusing that one. (n)

6. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned, I didn't get any error codes.. so I'm assuming the pump and valve are working. perhaps part of the headlight?

7. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also if possible can you snap a few pics of the left front around the coolant heat tank with headlight removed..thx.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is what's left of your wireless door lock buzzer. Toyota part # 89747-48020 or 068900-3840 if I read the numbers right. I wasn't able to get photos, as it was raining pretty hard when I got home. There's another recent thread with this item trying to ID it. There was a complete photo in that thread.

found this dangling in wheel well today | PriusChat

The link has a diagram of where it mounts. Apparently the little plastic nail/rivet/tab that mounts it is pretty sketchy. As soon as I touched mine and tried to move it to look at the wires, it broke. But, that made it easy to ID the wires :)

rogerthat likes this.
  9. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent, thx! If you have time when it clears, please still snap some pics of the area near the coolant tank.

10. JoeAtomicToad

JoeAtomicToad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Am I missing something here?

1200 paid for car.
    2500 schedule to pay for repairs.
    _________
    3700 money out

7000 cash in
    1200 salvage value
    ________
    8200 money in

3700÷8200 = 45% of vehicular gains to obtain and repair a "salvage" vehicle that is 9 years old. (Probably higher due to other expenses not included in the numerator.)

Not my kind of margins. Good money into bad. Hope this property has a certain nostalgic added value for you. Good luck, and I hope you prove me wrong!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, forget about buying the salvage vehicle, keep your eyes on the Bentley!

12. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If all goes according to plans... 1200 salvage + 1300 repairs = $2500 for a 2009 Prius with under 85k miles. I've babied the car too.

13. JoeAtomicToad

JoeAtomicToad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No matter the propulsion system of the vehicle (ICE, HEV, PHEV, EV, etc.), the insurance game still stays the same.

In an ironic sort of way, it's a little reassuring to have something consistent in these dynamic times. My-Love-Hate-Relationship-with-Insurance.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Friend of a friend did the body work - saved the hood which still has a small dent, but no biggie. I submitted all relevant docs to the insurance company on Wednesday and I'm now waiting for the salvage title to arrive.

Once that arrives, I'll apply for a rebuilt title which will need a state certified inspection. The only thing that worries me is that I didn't replace the coolant heat storage tank, but it wasn't leaking and the car was driving fine - so not sure why they would make me change this too, but you never know.

Then if it passes the inspection and I'm issued a rebuilt title, this fine vehicle will be back on the road! Oh, the replaced parts will also be painted.

pri1.jpg
    pri2.jpg

JC91006 likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like a new car

rogerthat likes this.