1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Intelligent Clearance Sonar ICS detect roadside curb?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Owner2b, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Owner2b

Owner2b New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Will it detect lower objects such as curbs so as to prevent wheels from hitting/scratching?

2. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Largely - no, as the objects have to be certain height to be detected... if it's a very tall curb, then yes. Not sure how tall it has to be...

alexcue likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a normal height curb. Your bumper will detect higher ones though :p. (Seriously, be careful with higher concrete parking stall barriers)

4. Owner2b

Owner2b New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks! A little disappointed though, as it's so often and easy to get curb scratch on the wheels.

5. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The camera will help you to ensure you don't hit cerbs right behind you, but I get your point about the front and/or the sides of the vehicle... I have a feeling that future technology will address some of your concerns!

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That "future technology" has a name--curb feelers.

7. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    While curb feelers will work for parallel parking to protect your rims, my biggest fear is scraping the front of the car when parking perpendicular to a curb. Most cars, particularly SUVs and pickups are high enough that that is not a concern - they drive up until their tires contact the curb. The Prime is so low in front that it will scrape on most curbs. I have even considered attaching a rear-view camera to the front of the car. But I hate to add more clutter to my dash.

8. Alan Winston

Alan Winston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wondered the same thing, about curb detection, but thought it unlikely that the current sensors - radar/ultrasonic/infrared/magic-fingers - would do it, and was disappointed.

Then I test drove a Bolt today that showed an overhead view of the car when the backup camera was on (and switched to forward view + overhead when you moved forward while maneuvering into a space. Obviously there wasn't a camera directly overhead, the overhead view was being created from a stored top view of the car style (in the right color) plus imagery from the front and rear cameras. It seems to me that it was showing the closer elements of the cars on either side while I backed into the spot, but by the time I was slotted in and stopped, and could think about anything other than not bumping anything and which unfamiliar controls made the car do what, there was enough space on either side that they wouldn't have shown in the top view anyway - but I've really wondering if it would show the positions of lane stripes and curbs, digitally created or "photoshopped in" from camera images stored during the parking maneuvers. Interesting concept, and easily enough checked on another test drive, but someone else will have to do that if you want an early answer. I'm going to be stalling on choosing a new vehicle for a while. :}

But if the Bolt is not currently showing curbs and stripes alongside, it is certainly within technical reach, with just cameras, but perhaps a bit more processing power, or perhaps with just a software upgrade.

The Prius Prime has front and back cameras, and a big display. Expect it from Toyota eventually, perhaps next year.

I'd certainly rather have the overhead visual than have the automation using a bunch of invisible proximity sensor inputs but not sharing the data with me.

The Bolt is an absolutely wonderful car, by the way, in many ways the nicest car I have driven in over fifty years of driving.

Any of the Bolt, Volt, Prius Prime, would be a joy to own, as would the Kia Niro hybrid, which was another favorite, but missed the play value of managing regen, etc. What I really want is the Niro plug-in hybrid, which may or may not come out before the end of the year. And I want it in the Kia Soul's Alien 2 green. Why is it so hard to get a Green car in green?

9. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    I have the UK model with 15 inch wheels. On mine, the t y r e s (I use the UK spelling!) are significantly wider than the wheels, and so the rims are protected by the t y r e s and don't get scratched.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember who came up with this trick (it was a PC member) and it may not work with a Gen 4 but it's worth trying (have someone spot you. I don't want you scratching your bumper because you were trying this).

First, if you have a reasonably good sense of the distance between the front bumper and the front wheels, then you can use your footrest as a marker (works for LHD vehicles. It's a bit more cumbersome for RHD since your right foot is on the brake). Where your left foot rests on the footrest is roughly where the front wheel is and you can go from there.

The second trick is to use your left mirror. While seated, approach the curb (again, having a spotter helps cause I can't guarantee it'll work with your vehicle). When you can see the curb just under your left mirror, stop. You should be a small enough distance to the curb.

Alternatively, try it in a parking lot with painted lines first. Slowly drive forward until you can see the painted line that is perpendicular to your direction of travel just underneath your left mirror. Park the car and get out of the car and inspect the distance from your bumper to the line to give you an idea of how to use the mirror trick and whether you need to stop before you see it or if you can continue a few tenths of an inch further.

Owner2b and Krzysiek_KTA like this.