1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will it cost me all the money i saved in gas to get a new battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eneder772, Nov 19, 2014.

1. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, what you save on the popcorn you spend on the peanuts...

The only thing that "matters" is you come out even but are using a very low emissions vehicle, kharma is the only thing that matters, not money;)

In actuality, the gen2's are having traction battery replacements, the gen3's are having inverter replacement's, the traction batteries are doing fine, yer good for 100,000 miles from this point if you don't drive like a London cabbie;)

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    100k miles warranty wise, but overall the traction battery lasts much longer than the warranty coverage.

Read the 200k and 300k miles threads. No one gets excited over another 200k mile car report on it's first battery. It is expected.
    Heck, even the 500k mile reports on the original battery are not surprising. 1,000,000 miles on the original battery will cause a lot of 'high-fives' around here.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really want my battery to fail this year......why am I so lucky to have it last this long? I have only 1 year left on my warranty. Toyota is failing me

SageBrush likes this.
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2001 (with supposedly inferior batteries) went 121,000+ miles and 12 years on its original battery before it got runned over by a reindeer (sorry, KY coming out of me).

Was Grandma OK?

5. Eneder772

Eneder772 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe it has saved me more than i thought. I actually bought the car for its looks. Call me crazy, but i loved the way it looked the moment i saw it. I got it used with 10,000 miles on it. I did not know there was any warranty on it. Maybe there isn't on used ones, Not sure. I also live in california now. My friend had told me they usually die around 75,000 miles, so i was worried. Wasn't expecting so many replies. You did cheer me up, so gratz.

#45 Eneder772, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This will make you feel better:
    • Compare it to a 2011 GMS Yukon XL 2500 4WD - 12 MPG combined
    • Use 20,000 miles per year for annual miles
    • $1,930 for XL 2500 transmission replacement, the equivalent of a battery replacement
    Bob Wilson

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your friend might have been talking about the standard 12v battery the Prius also has.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It did.
    More to the point, it seems to be a vehicle that you like. You're more fortunate than you may realize. Many people DON'T like the way that Priuses look, handle, accelerate, etc... and they have to settle with frugality.
    Look at it this way.
    I've never seen a Camaro or a Pickup truck owner say: "Man! I didn't get much of a return on that investment!!"

Even Yugos came with OEM (factory) warranties.
    To be honest? Toyota's B2B and power train warranties are pretty lame but you're covered for a period of time much longer than 10,000 miles presuming that you didn't buy a salvage titled car.

You live in Caly.
    That comes with advantages and disadvantages.
    CARB warranties would probably be an advantage. ;) http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

Friends are like that sometimes. He/She is wrong. It might be jealousy over your $30 fill-ups....... :rolleyes:
    Good Luck!

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So far as I know, all US car warranties apply to all owners, not just the first.
    Your Hybrid warranty is based on where the car was originally purchased and where it is registered now. If both were CARB states, you have the CARB 150,000 mile/10 year warranty, if not, you have the Federal 100,000 mile/8 year warranty.