1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will it hurt the ICE switching from EV to HV while doing 65mph?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by AlamedaPrius, Aug 5, 2018.

1. AlamedaPrius

AlamedaPrius Junior Member

Hi all,
    Got delivery of our Prius Prime Premium 3 days ago and really happy with the car. One question i have is...Will it hurt the engine (being cold) when the car switches from EV mode to HV mode right after when the battery gets depleted? This happens when my wife goes on the freeway on her way to work which is 32mi one way. Is the engine physically turning (oil pump pumping oil) before the car switches from EV to HV at freeway speeds? Im afraid it will cause some accelerated wear on the engine. Thanks in advance.

Arctic_White and Starship16 like this.
  2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No problem at all, it's deigned for the transition to work well. Remember you have HV battery at that time to assist and the car uses it.

3. AlamedaPrius

Thanks for the reply Bob. So when my wife is doing 65mph on EV then suddenly switches to HV, the system keeps the EV going in assisting the ICE to get it to speed? Would that include uphills also? Im just afraid of the premature wear associated with putting load on a cold engine since oil might not been distributed completely. I was her passenger when i witnesses the transition happened and it was an obvious jolt and felt kinda like a very short ignition misfire lol! I will try to do it again when i’m the one driving to see how it feels when it happens. Thanks again for entertaining my question.

4. Engine still has to go through a warm up cycle anyway, so, unless you really floor it, the hybrid defers to electrical energy from the battery until the cycle is complete. Exception: If you press the accelerator hard, then, it'll use both and the engine RPM will be high. But do not worry, you have 0W-20 synthetic oil, so, it shouldn't cause a problem.

Interestingly, on a very cold morning (a few ticks below the freezing point of water) last year, I was on an all electric journey and had to pass someone. Well the engine kicked on anyway, thus defeating the all-electric "EV Mode" drive setting, and the RPMs went to 3300 or so within one second. The engine did not squeal or make any abnormal sounds. Meanwhile, the coolant temperature was just below the freezing point of water... and eventually the warm-up cycle completed successfully. So, even in this cold scenario, a switch out of all electric to the hybrid system (HV equivalent) did not hurt the engine, so, your situation will be even less of a concern.

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How do you know this is not hard on an ice cold engine?
    Come on, you know it is not an ideal way to treat an engine.

These issues are just now being talked about in reviews of all the new 'lesser / not 100% EV' PHEV's.

Arctic_White and Starship16 like this.
  6. Huh? Where did I say that this was ideal? I never said that and I never implied that. Nor was I aware that my engine was going to turn on, as I was expecting it to stay in all electric EV mode. I just...happened to discover that the car turned on its engine that morning. Who said anything about it not being hard on the engine?

Arctic_White likes this.
  7. AlamedaPrius

Thank you Skylis A for the detailed explanation. I'm sure Toyota is clever enough to have thought about it. I actually drove my wife's route to work today and saw what you and other's were saying. I guess as long as she doesn't floor it too often when cold, she will be ok.

That is what my concern about when i started this thread...i was concern about the long term negative effect of it with the ICE. Somehow, I have to give Toyota a little bit of faith that they had thought about it and made sure it doesn't become a future liability.

#7 AlamedaPrius, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
  8. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry.
    Sorry for thinking you were defending this 'Type' of Not 100% EV - PHEV.
    Sorry you didn't do the research before taking the PHEV plunge.

But I am glad that more people are taking this plunge just because it has Toyota and Prius on the back of the car.
    It is a good thing in the Big Picture of the Clean Energy Future.

For me,, a PHEV was just a stepping stone to BEV ownership!

padroo likes this.
  9. [Edit - clearing up some posts, ignore mine above as it was in response to another user, whose post is invisible now, and I can't edit mine because it's been a few hours, and I have no option to delete this one]

#9 Deleted member 111882, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no invisible posts on this thread. o_O

11. Invisible, deleted, whatever, I don't have mod access to see what went missing. If you want you can delete my posts, the ones that look out of place.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the problem - I don't see anything that has been deleted or made invisible lol It .... looks... normal to me

Also, nothing was edited except your post #9.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    This is my thought as well, the PHEVs are designed to start the engine cold when cold at elevated speeds and is engineered to handle it (I.e. lean more on electric and less on gas, and this is proven by how quickly the HV charge drops when the switch over happens while heavy throttle). However, going full throttle forcing the engine on does seem to let the car stretch it’s limit a bit more to accommodate (with a bit of lag, at least from my experience with the PiP), but this can only be worse for the car overall, as pushing a cold engine cannot be beneficial whether it is giving it’s all or not. I am sure it was engineered that you are not going to cause any meaningful damage by doing this occasionally (for example, merging onto a freeway and noticing an 18-wheeler barrelling down on you at the last minute...), so a little planning ahead is usually best for the overall health of your engine.

For example, in my PiP, anytime I am leaving home with a full charge and I know I am going to travel more than the EV range (almost always), I run on EV to start, until I either get to the highway, or at least to a decent stretch of road where I know I will not be stopping for some time. While rolling, switch to HV to let the engine warm up while cruising, thus minimizing the “warm up penalty”. I also usually keep 3-5km of EV charge on tap for traffic jams or next start up, if I don’t expect to have a charge opportunity at my next stop, so I can once again get to a suitable cruising area to warm up. Just my $0.02.

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The tolerances and lubricants used these days greatly reduce the importance of the extended engine warm-up periods which those of us over the age of 40 were lectured about in drivers' ed.

If you want to see how the electric motors in the Prius Prime trans-axle interact with the ICE, take a look at this lengthy and detailed video:

I think the video will confirm your appreciation for how well thought out the engineering is in the Prime's hybrid drive train. You'll also see how the electric motors handle the transition from being the primary motive power to handing off the task to the ICE.

15. AlamedaPrius

Thanks for the info Sarge!

This is great info Old Bear...thank you...

#15 AlamedaPrius, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  16. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wouldn’t do it. Let the ice warm up at least 5 min before getting to freeway speeds. I merge onto freeways in excess of 60mph.

AlamedaPrius likes this.
  17. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It would be interesting to see how many RPMs exist when it transitions at freeway speed. I drive in ECO all of the time and when it goes from EV to HV I have to depress the accelerator more to maintain my speed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mark57 likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have a ScanGauge which tells me the actually RPM in numeric value. If you were to get up to cruising speed (~60MPH) then switch on HV, the engine will warm up in normal range (approx 1400-1500 if memory serves me right), leaning more on electric until it gets up to temperature. It will rev higher if pushed though, and I think this is really the only time you may run the risk of added wear, but nothing serious (no more so than getting in an ICE car and putting it in Drive and flooring it. Not the smartest move, but won’t kill the car either). The Prius is smart enough to manage itself in such a way as to protect itself.

Just my $0.02, and I am no mechanic...

19. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drive that way every morning 5 days a week. I am in EV from my house until I am on the freeway and get my speed up to 65-75 MPH then switch to HV. It's also a slight uphill (mostly) for the next 14 miles or so.

When you swap to HV from a cold engine, the ICE hardly puts out any power while it is in warm-up mode (probably about 2-4 minutes, not sure). Almost all your power is coming from the battery pack in order to avoid putting stress on a cold engine. I also avoid any kind of hard acceleration until the engine has been warmed up for a few minutes. Sometimes it pisses people off behind you who want to be doing 85 MPH but what can you do?

Keep an eye on the energy diagram on the main display and you'll see that the engine icon will not turn "yellow" for a few minutes. You'll also see your battery charge start dropping quite quickly at 60+ MPH - don't worry, though, you'll get back to the same charge level when you first switched to HV. The Prime "remembers" what charge the battery was at when you activated HV mode and gradually recharges the battery to restore the charge used while the engine was warming up.

Keep in mind this is why you use 0-20W oil in the Prime! The "zero" part of that specification means that the cold oil is thin enough to be circulated through a cold engine quickly with the least engine wear possible. Upping your oil to 5W-20 or 5W-30 would be inadvisable to say the least IMO.

Arctic_White, Old Bear and Sarge like this.
  20. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just don’t think it’s wise to get onto a freeway where you know you’re doing a disservice to those around you because you are unwilling use the full capability of the anemic powertrain.

Also gives a continual bad name for Prius drivers.