1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will it hurt the ICE switching from EV to HV while doing 65mph?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by AlamedaPrius, Aug 5, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I'm 9.5 miles each way. I could actually do a round trip and a one-way except during the hottest times when the AC works extra hard. My seasons are flip-flopped from yours. I'm very curious about what the next Prime will bring us.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is no mechanical gear changing in a Prius (Prime or regular Prius). It's all done with the computers controlling the motor-generators (MG-1 and MG-2). This includes reverse. There is no mechanical way for the gasoline engine to move you in reverse; only electric motors can do that. Shifting into Reverse at speed is interpreted by the computer to go into Neutral. The mechanical part of the Prius gear train is incredibly simple. No gears or belts or clutches engaging and disengaging. The complexity is in the control software.(The Prime does have a "clutch", but it is simply a one-way sprag clutch that allows MG-1 to move the car without the gasoline engine being turned backwards. Turn it one way, and it locks up and power is transmitted to the other shaft. Turn it the other way, and it freewheels. No friction plates or anything like that.)

#42 CharlesH, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    vvillovv likes this.