1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Leaving Prius Parked Regularly Cause Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UNCBlue, Sep 22, 2016.

1. UNCBlue

UNCBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2009 Prius package 6 with 76000 miles. The service records seem to indicate that it has been well-maintained and it is listed for $9500. I do intend to have it checked by a Toyota dealer before making the purchase.

My question is with regard to the battery, specifically the traction battery. Since I am currently a college student living on campus, I will not likely be doing any driving during the week. I will be driving at least 50 miles or more every weekend, but during the school year that is pretty much the extent of the driving I will be doing. I have heard that it is bad for the longevity of the battery for it to sit for extended periods of time. I obviously want the battery to last as long as possible before requiring a costly replacement (if that day does come while I own the car). Will I be heavily abusing the battery by leaving the car parked for about 5 days at a time?

Thank you!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It probably will be best you don't buy a prius with your usage. It'll be cheaper using uber.

A battery will go out of balance if not used regularly.

If you need a car, want to pay the high insurance costs, registration, repairs, maintenance, depreciation etc for 50 miles of driving a week, then just buy a regular non hybrid. You are only driving 3000 miles a year.

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sitting unused five days at a time is at the upper limit of what we would consider OK. We recommend our customers charge & balance the battery anytime the car sits unused for more than one week. Charging & re-balancing the cells after the car has sat will ensure the cells are in the normal operating range and ready to receive the high current charge & draw the vehicle will deliver.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! corolla, matrix, yaris, camry, civic, fit, mazda 3, etc.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I wonder if this holds true for a newish (6 months old) battery. My Prius was in an accident in July and had to sit for about 2 weeks for repairs.

6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you are fine. Self-discharge that leads to cell imbalance increases as batteries age. At only six months old, your battery probably did not self discharge much if at all.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A NEW Hv Battery that came from Toyota?

Or are you saying "new" rebuilt/used HV Battery that came from Doorman (orange case) or Fraudtech (aka Greentech, green colored case)?

strawbrad likes this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine sits for 5 days, drives 80miles then sits for 2 days then drives 80miles and is parked. Almost every weekend. Definitely not optimal for the battery and there is a significant difference for the first half of the drive as the car "repairs" itself.

I would say the balancing issue is more of a problem, the shorter the drives. For example if it sat 5 days then you drove to the corner store and back only that would be orders of magnitude worse than sitting for a month then driving cross country.

9. econo-one

econo-one Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised to read the concern over leaving a car parked and unused for one week. Doesn't seem that the self-discharge during that period of time would be significant, or detrimental. Here is what I found on the Battery University site regarding self discharge of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries:
    Self-discharge
    NiMH cells historically had a somewhat higher self-discharge rate (equivalent to internal leakage) than NiCd cells. The self-discharge rate varies greatly with temperature, where lower storage temperature leads to slower discharge rate and longer battery life. The self-discharge is 5–20% on the first day and stabilizes around 0.5–4% per day at room temperature.[22][23][24][25][26] But at 45 °C it is approximately three times as high.[16]

Low self-discharge
    The low self-discharge nickel–metal hydride battery (LSD NiMH) has a significantly lower rate of self-discharge. The innovation was introduced in 2005 by Sanyo, under their Eneloop brand.[27] By using an improved electrode separator and improved positive electrode, manufacturers claim the cells retain 70% to 85% of their capacity when stored one year at 20 °C (68 °F), compared to about half for normal NiMH batteries. They are otherwise similar to other NiMH batteries, and can be charged in the typical chargers.

10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right, So for a degraded battery that has some cells that are at the high end of the self-discharge scale you referenced, the weaker cells can loose up to 44% SOC in one week. The stronger cells might only lose 8% SOC. The pack can become that much out of balance from sitting for only a week. One week isn't so bad, it's the cars that sit for 6-8 weeks or more that we get phone calls about all the time.

offib and cwerdna like this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple things-
    • Assuming you live in non-CARB NC, you have a 8-yr 100k miles warranty on the hybrid batt. You need to check orig purchase date, if you had an extra year that'd be nice but probably less than one year
    • We have not heard too many 2009's batts going bad yet, but it is starting to maybe look like Gen3 batt (2010+) might be a little better longevity, and then you'd have an extra year or two warranty
    • Normally for Gen2 the sitting problem has to do with the small 12v batt. The Smart Key System drains the battery slowly. There is a switch under the Steering column to turn it off, which is a good idea for the period which it sits. Gen3 (2010+) this "issue" is fixed as the car will automatically turn off SKS on sitting.

#11 wjtracy, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is also a good idea to put the 12 V battery on a maintenance charger if you know it is going to sit idle for 2 weeks or more.

cwerdna likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say that's a new idea for Prius Chat to suggest 1-week sitting is bad for HV batt. Makes sense that a stressed old batt might have a problem with 6-8 weeks. I'd wonder if there are corrective measures such as giving a good charge before parking, and 5-minute warm-up on re-start.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was a qualified statement. Please don't take statements out of context. That's how urban myths start.

For an aged HV battery, that could be true. It depends very much on the condition of the battery as to how it will be affected by self-discharge.

jeff652 likes this.