1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will my Gen3 operate with Driver Seat Belt Removed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cWest, Nov 18, 2020.

1. cWest

cWest New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, so I know I should not drive without a seat belt.
    However my dog chewed my driver seat belt in half. I am considering removing the seat belt and shipping it to a company that replaces the webbing. There will be a significant lag time in getting the seat belt shipped back to me because of my location in relation to this company.

So the question:
    After I remove the driver seat belt components will the Prius still drive? Or is there going to be some computer thing that prevents it from shifting into Drive?

Open to creative solutions that appreciate the context: I already have no functioning driver seat belt, the nearest dealership is a 4 hour drive away. I can not afford to miss work, which is a 20 mile drive each way...

Thank you!!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Should be fine

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes should still work, but will constantly beep?

Just try driving unbuckled, and you'll know how it behaves.

Can't you just pick up the belt from local dealership, swap yourself?

If I get a chance I'll look up in Repair Manual, post anything relevant.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1 on DIYing it, but be sure to look up and follow the same precautions as for airbags; there is a small bomb inside the seat belt retractor.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The seat belt webbing is part of the front seat outer belt assembly, which also contains the retractor with seat belt pretensioner. As @ChapmanF kindly points out, this is an explosive part of the supplemental restraint system (SRS), mentioned in the Owner’s Manual (PDF) on pages 26, 112, and 117.

You may not be able to send the belt assembly away for repair without breaking the laws on dangerous goods (hazardous materials) shipping, including the special rule for safety devices (49 CFR § 173.166). You can’t send it by U.S. Mail; “Air bag inflators, or Air bag modules, or Seatbelt pretensioners” are listed as “Prohibited” in USPS Publication 52. You might be able to use another carrier, such as FedEx or UPS, but you’d have to properly classify, package, and declare the shipment. The belt assembly would have had to have been approved by U.S. DOT for shipment when not installed in a vehicle, and you’d need the EX number for this approval.

I’d suggest buying a new part as a replacement (see catalog Figure 71-04, Seat Belt & Child Restraint Seat, part name code 73220), and letting the seller be responsible for shipping it to you.

If you’re considering a do-it-yourself repair, to reduce the risk of serious personal injury or property damage, be sure to read and follow the precautions in the Repair Manual (more info) for work on SRS parts. Most importantly, disconnect the cable from the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12-volt) battery and then wait at least 90 seconds before starting work.
    Not continuously, as the Repair Manual explains: “When the vehicle is driven at approximately 20 km/h (12 mph) while the driver side or front passenger side seat belt is unfastened, the seat belt warning buzzer in the combination meter assembly sounds at an interval of 1.2 seconds for 9.6 seconds. After that, the buzzer sounds at an interval of 0.4 seconds for 20 seconds.”

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you related to Deep Blue? :cool:

7. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could just order a used one (~$100) from Google shopping, ebay, amazon, etc. If you can remove the old one, you can install the new one. Perhaps there's a junk yard nearby? That might be a long shot, Prii are fairly rare in Alaska. Good luck!

8. cWest

cWest New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am somewhat aware of the "hazardous" designation of seat belts as related to shipping, this means they can only be shipped via ground, which from East Coast of US to Alaska means very long shipping time. Also living where I do means no easy access to things like a "local dealership" I have a hard time even getting a phone call returned from the Toyota dealership in Anchorage (which is 4 hours drive from me). So I'm dealing with a pretty specific set of variables. Including no junk yards closer than a 4 hour drive.

I have tried purchasing an aftermarket part on ebay in the past (fuel vapor canister) in this case the nominal cost savings is not really worth the risk that the seller sends the wrong part or the belt is somehow damaged. The fuel vapor canister wasn't quite right and the seller can requested I ship item back (at significant cost to me) before refunding the purchase price.

I am going to look a bit further at purchasing new replacement part from dealer or other legit source. If the price is within 20% I'll probably go that route for expediency and safety.

As a long time lurker, first time poster, I'm impressed and thankful all the input thus far.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Driving w/o your seat belt might not kill ya but the small bomb inside the seat belt retractor will.

10. cWest

cWest New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I bought 2 used seatbelts on ebay. Swapped out passenger side first, got a human to sit down and strap in for a driveway test drive. Guess what? INCOMPATIBLE! Passenger couldn't click the metal tongue into the receiver. I could have checked this before doing the whole install but I didn't think to. The ebay seller "icarpart" even had some VIN compatibility info in the listing (which matches my car), the install went smoothly everything else fit. What a nightmare.

So I'm back to the drawing board. Considering swapping out the receiver pieces to match. I messaged the seller and am waiting for a response from them, maybe they'll have a solution.

This is 2 for 2 receiving incompatible parts from ebay, even when taking care to read listing for a match.

11. cWest

cWest New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mini update, and will post a thread with reworded title and basic overview of process for future people to utilize.

Procured a used passenger front seatbelt for a 2015, installed that on the driver side and it works!