1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will my New Airbags Deploy without Module Reset?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Wolfehouse, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Wolfehouse

Wolfehouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,
    I'm rebuilding the front end of my 2010 Toyota Prius. So far I've replaced most of the front end cosmetics. Now i'm looking to fix the airbag systems. I've replaced the damaged impact sensor on the bumper. I've removed and ordered replacement Steering wheel and knee airbags. Next will be to order service/repair for my driver side seatbelt and Airbag module. Otherwise the car drives/operates fine just an airbag warning light in the corner.

Say that I take the necessary precautions to disconnect both my battery terminals and let the SRS system discharge for 10-15 mins then try to install my steering wheel and knee airbags. My concern is this, will my airbags Deploy again once I connect my battery since I've yet to reset my computer. Or will it just start up as normal and still have the airbag light on until I reset my module and erase the codes? I want to wait but its killing me I want this car back in driving condition ASAP!

And Yes I know that you should only take this to a trained professional etc, but obviously Im trying to save a few thousand dollars by not taking this to the dealer. Plus what kind of a world would we be if we never tried to learn a new skill or pass on our knowledge to others.

ANY THOUGHTS?

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The air bags will not deploy even though you have not reset the computer.
    I see the reset service is going for $40 on ebay or you can just order in a used control module that doesn't require resetting for $59.
    Your air bag system is disabled as long as the srs light is on weather it is due to a deployed / malfunctioning airbag or a srs module that needs to be reset.
    Link below to ebay module:
    2010 2012 Toyota Prius SRS Airbag Control Module Computer PN 89170 47080 LKQ | eBay

3. Wolfehouse

Wolfehouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the information.
    I just received my "new to me" used Airbag Control Module and my refurbished seat belt is almost here. I Can't wait to put it all back together then plug the battery back in.

4. Bill 2013

Bill 2013 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My 2013 Prius just got hit by a deer with airbag deployment. Do I necessarily need to replace the front airbag sensors? How can you tell if they are bad?