1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will our original Gen 4 Prius exterior styling be viewed as...?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim in NC, Apr 24, 2019.

?
  1. A Classic

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. A bizarre mistake that Toyota turned away from

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A slightly unusual style, but not objectionable

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. A bland design now on the ash heap of auto history

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now that the 4th gen Prius refreshed styling is out, there will be no more of the original 4th gen body styles going into circulation. I know that the reaction of auto reviewers and even the Prius community was shock, criticism and dislike when the 4th gen was first released. There was a minority of buyers who actually liked the unusual headlight and taillight styling, but it was there.
    I have to admit that the weird choices Toyota made on exterior and interior styling put off a lot of potential buyers, and delayed my purchase as well. In the meantime, as a gen 4 owner for 3 years I have gotten used to my Prius' looks and even like the taillights. I think because of the number of Prius in circulation the public has also gotten used to the looks. I have even gotten at least a dozen positive comments on the looks of the Prius from folks at gas stations, car washes, loading areas and drive-thru's.
    My question to the Prius community is -- Do you think the original 4th gen styling is destined to become ....

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Compare it with some of the real ugly cars, and - PRIUS is mild. Plus - a lot of the form factor relates to aerodynamics.
    upload_2019-4-24_23-12-12.png or
    upload_2019-4-24_23-7-28.png upload_2019-4-24_23-8-6.png upload_2019-4-24_23-9-11.png upload_2019-4-24_23-10-14.png upload_2019-4-24_23-11-27.png

3. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I for one, love the gen 4 styling. In particular I love that I can easily tell, even at night, when I'm encountering another gen 4 owner - there is no other car out there with the tail-light styling. The more sporty look was a positive factor in my buying decision, but also, I was new to Prius at the time.

4. esfishdoc

esfishdoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I voted in the last category. Fifty years from now there might be mention of how it was the beginning of the end of gas and hybrid vehicles.. but that is doubtful. It is a boring functional very reliable vehicle that will be mindlessly crushed when used up. (don't get me wrong.. I bought one and I think it is great.. but I've never "loved" it.)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i see it as classic, and would love to drop a phev or bev into it.

6. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I've always loved the style of the Gen 4 and was one of the main reasons I bought it. I think their dumbed down attempt at normalising the styling of the Prius is a mistake as it has taken away a whole heap of its personality.

This is my first Prius and hope it will not be my last, I just hope they don't go all boring when the Gen 5 is released.

Data Daedalus, Ogo, DonD and 3 others like this.
  7. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you I think the refresh that they did only made the car look boring, it really didn't fix anything. And I agree with other posters that the tail lights were quite unique. The other thing is that the color of the vehicle makes a big difference in the way it looks. I ran across a pearlescent White one the other day and I thought that that particular color accentuated the cooler looking parts of the vehicle and hid some of the more weird parts of the vehicle. I do not in any way since the new refresh looks better.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kithmo, Harters and krmcg like this.
  8. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the original gen 4 styling as a future classic and avantgarde the moment. The restyled version seems a dull compromise, and is less attractive to me.

Also love seeing the tail lights at night, space ship like :D

Data Daedalus, DonD, Ogo and 4 others like this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed - I rarely see them - but when I do, they're great - I think they're supposed to be lightning bolts.
    upload_2019-4-30_14-59-20.png

I had a read of the specifications, and looked at the 2019, thinking I might upgrade, I'm not sure that I'll bother - other than styling, and getting rid of the wonderful white highlights, there is almost no change. No Apple/Android Carplay, same Safety Tech and it's still got the horrid foot-park-brake, and no Auto Parking in Australia.

Harters likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's pretty hard to compete with the real classic Prius

[​IMG]

but I love the taillight of the Gen 4 (pre-facelift). The Zorro or lightning design is very unique to the industry and no other vehicle is like that. You can identify it a literal mile away.

But I think it'll be relegated to the unusual Prius styling that came with a car labelled "Prius". As much as I like my Prime, I think that'll be the "bland" one in the future. It's too bad. I love the quad LED headlights.

Data Daedalus, DonD, kithmo and 2 others like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like both the second and third gen stylings, find them largely "purposeful", though third gen is sailing a little closer to the wind.

Fourth gen seems a strange ego trip by the designers, and/or their bosses. I believe the designers were sent back to the drawing board, told to make it more "edgy"?

When I see one on the road, my first reaction is that it looks somewhat diminutive, garish, jarring and cartoonish. I'm holding back, lol.

Then there's the interior...

Data Daedalus likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love white highlight interiors:
    upload_2019-5-1_10-8-27.png upload_2019-5-1_10-9-11.png upload_2019-5-1_10-9-54.png upload_2019-5-1_10-10-26.png

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What the heck is going on there:

upload_2019-4-30_17-14-26.png

Something to entertain the front seat passenger? Make them feel "involved", lol?

I guess Toyota isn't the pioneer, in the symmetrical dash.

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sat Nav that only the passenger can operate?

This doesn't help - a speaker?
    upload_2019-5-1_10-18-43.png

Or somewhere to put the speedo for RHD models - which never happened.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've always thought the Prime had a great front end but the back end is just rough looking. Looks like lips and I can't ever un-see them.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think James Bond would be caught dead in one...

Data Daedalus and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To me it always looked like someone beat the 2016+ Pruis with the ugly stick a few times. Which was better than the Prime which looked to me like they beat it until the ugly stick broke. I have a 2010 Prius and had started looking at used 2015 models to bridge until the next big redesign, but the 2019 looks more like something I'd want to own, and now that there's an AWD version (I'm probably moving to colder climate locale pretty soon) I'm interested in a Prius again. Given the replies to this thread, that clearly indicates taste is 100% subjective.

'-)

18. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought a 2016 prius four even though its ugly. Here in Oakland it seems highway drivers can't wait to get around me. Looking in my rear view mirror I can see motorists hanging head to side, looking for lane change, ..even if I am going with the flow of traffic or faster! I think its the tail lights. They are stupid. The mid cycle refresh looks a lot better. Good luck on the highway, everyone!

Data Daedalus, Mendel Leisk and krmcg like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #19 Prodigyplace, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    dig4dirt likes this.
  20. Seamaster

Seamaster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I couldn’t bring myself to replace my 2011 Prius with a 2016. The interior and exterior were just too outré for me. I think Toyota have determined there were rather a lot of us who made the same decision. I’ve come back to a Prius only because the design has been toned down.