1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will politicizing EVs with Union label suppress sales?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 21, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Biden Administration is going hammer and tongs to label 'union made EVs' as the wave of the future. Not just the $4,500 extra tax credit but aggressively ignoring non-union (aka., Tesla) EV makers. From an economic standpoint, EVs are about 1/2 to 1/4 th the cost per mile to operate. But we also know there are 'owning the libs' buyers who are easily offended, Are they a significant EV market?

I prefer technology be independent of political orientation. Efficiency, fighting the Second Law, is what motivates me. Just seeing others take political umbrage at ordinary technical, chemical, or biological processes is intellectually dishonest and self-defeating. For example, getting a COVID-19 vaccination or rather the refusal along with insistence on ineffective treatments.

So one side of me takes schadenfreude that some political 'buyers' won't be in the market for efficient EVs. But I also realize they can become trolls like the Prius skeptics.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm watching joe test drive a rivian as we type

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was originally put off by his union stance, but i also realize dems have been seriously offended by musks world view.
    in the end, i think they will make sure the market progresses appropriately. this is just a start, and will have major interruptions along the way.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A wild thought but unions have not been EV friendly … fewer worker-dues. This may be a clever trick to buy them off.

Bob Wilson

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No longer getting the current credit has not hurt Tesla. Being ineligible for the union made bonus credit isn't going to hurt them either.

Those unwilling to buy a union made car already aren't. The extra credit amount might tempt them, but then I suspect most aren't considering a plug in to begin with.

The provision can be used by trolls and skeptics, but they would likely find something else to use without it.

Now, I'd much rather have domestic content amount be a criteria than union made.

Musk does seem to be a right leaning, libertarian sort.

bwilson4web, bisco and Rmay635703 like this.
  6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you belong to Facebook take a look at the public ad campaign posts and any EV
    “digital magazine post”

99% of the responses to these are people loosing their mind with a bunch of fictional nonsense and memes.

m.facebook.com/normalnow/photos/a.1212443202262946/1230798440427422/?type=3&fs=0&focus_composer=0&m_entstream_source=timeline

My guess is the average American is terrified of anything remotely progressive.

Many fear EVs as if it’s a religious issue.

I don’t care for Union buy offs either but the reality is Trump didn’t do much different with his random tariff policies and I don’t think it will have any effect whatsoever on those who buy VRS dont

If we were to re-insource specific critical production we would likely be more agile and less affected by the current pandemic supply issues

Lean manufacturing as we have implemented it is incompatible with any minor supply disruption and it appears we will have at least 5 years of unpredictable disruptions meaning lean will need to be dropped/ modified and moved to on shore vertical integration if we want to be successful in this new environment.

With low interest, unpredictable supply Lean simply doesn’t save money or even work.

#6 Rmay635703, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As the total population goes UP, the average IQ goes DOWN.......because those of lower IQ churn out more kids, also of lower IQ and lesser education.

So what ?

As the "Average American" becomes dumber, the majority is more prone to believe lies and propaganda and follow SATAN.
    Some days this worries me a LOT.
    But I'm not likely to live long enough to see what I think is the inevitable Apocalypse that will result when stupidity rules.
    But then maybe it is coming faster than I think.

(Why is this post here instead of in the "politics" section??)

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think you meant "thread" but it was a judgement call. In the past, the EV approval consensus was replaced by recent 'anti-EV' fee increases and dropping State support like Georgia. Now we're seeing bipartisan mixing of politics and EVs and not in a universal pro-EV way.

My general rule of thumb is partisan postings and threads belong in 'House of Politics.' Just now we're seeing both sides using their heavy hands in ways not helping the EV market. Still, I won't complain if the thread is relocated as much has bemoaning the negative effects on EV sales and ownership.

Bob Wilson