1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will / Should Sen. Obama run in 2008?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by huskers, Oct 22, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 23 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]336798[/snapback]</div>
    I would consider that a reckless vote at this point. He has shown not one soul anything he has created, solved, or identified at this point. He is at most an untainted politician because he has NO record. If you would vote for someone who has not been tested, not passed through a difficult decision making process and landed upright, not authored one bill of significant import - how could you trust him to make tough decisions.

From the sounds of it he is wobbly at best. When asked questions about Iran, the Middle East, NoKo he has only obfuscated. Quickly - tell me his position on these issues:

1. The war in Iraq - does he want to stay the course, cut and run, what?
    2. Iran - what are his intentions of dealing with Iran as they try to develop a nuclear weapon?
    3. NoKo - what are his thoughts on dealing with NoKo?

and then we can get to other issues like:

1. Estate and Capital Gains taxes
    2. Affirmative Action and set-asides
    3. Litmus tests for SC Justice nominees
    4. His views on Hezbullah and Israel and the Middle East
    5. His thoughts on the UN

if you know the above let me know because I have been unable to actually find where this guy stands on any of these issues. You must know since he has convinced you to vote for him.

Thanks in advance for your help. Maybe I am not looking in the right places to see where he stands on these issues.

David

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 22 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]336567[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still uncertain about him. He sounds so very perfect, but I'm scared that he's actually totally prepackaged and we just don't know it yet.

I mean, c'mon, GWB clears brush around the ol' homestead...he'sdown to earth, right? And now we've got a guy picking up pest bait at the five and dime on the way home from addressing international issues...?!? Ahh, another man of the people.

Doesen't this sound a little, ummmmm, too good to be true? A little prefab? Surely you're not really basing your appraisal of the man on items such as this.

For me, the Oprah connection is a big, GIANT yellow flag. I mean if the other stuff wasn't enough...Oprah...?!? Perhaps he'll appoint Dr. Phil as Surgeon General...?

BTW, to confirm: Just because Oprah is not actually married and spends lots of time with an extremely close female friend, that *in no way* makes her gay...okay?!?
    [smile]

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]336692[/snapback]</div>
    The eminent DOCTOR, aka "The California Nuker," again displays his phenomenal analytic skills. OBAMA IS HONEST. This is the single most important skill a person can have for the job. It is absolutely necessary but, of course, not sufficient. (If he proves substantially dishonest along the way, I retract whatever minimal support I now have for him. It's much too early.)

What experience did Bush present to the voters? Leader of failed businesses, miserable student, social climber on his father's name, AWOL serviceman and governor of Texas which, wisely, limited his powers severely but not enough to keep him from executing every death sentence that came his way for review. These are the kind of folks he knows how to beat up on. He's not used to people, like the Iraqis, who can actually fight back. War on terror! Using "substance" in the same sentence with "Bush" is a felony out here in D. H. Berman's nuclear weapons practice area. How "desparate" were the Reps when they voted him in? There wasn't a single man of substance and courage they could find?

The DOCTOR prefers his candidates pre-blemished. Easier to identify with.

Alnilam
    Ground Zero

4. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]336692[/snapback]</div>
    1) Introduced on November 1, 2005, by Sens. Lugar and Barack Obama (D-IL), Lugar-Obama is comprehensive legislation that would expand the cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons. It is patterned after the Nunn-Lugar program that focuses on weapons of mass to destruction in the former Soviet Union and would expand the detection and interdiction of weapons and materials of mass destruction.

2) U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) announced legislation he authored that would require the Air Force to issue a report on its plans for all Air Guard and Air Forces bases affected by Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) passed the full Senate as part of the Department of Defense Authorization bill.

3) Legislation authored by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) to provide $20 million in emergency aid to African Union (AU) peacekeeping forces in Sudan passed the Senate today as part of a larger Department of Defense (DOD) spending bill that will soon be signed into law by the President.

4) U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) Tuesday introduced legislation to protect Americans from using tactics that intimidate voters and prevent them from exercising their rights on Election Day.

5) Legislation authored by U.S. Senators Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) and Barack Obama (D-IL) that will stop the abuse of no-bid contracting in the aftermath of a disaster passed the Senate today as part of a Department of Homeland Security funding bill that will soon be signed into law by the President.

6) U.S. Senators Jim Talent (R-Mo.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.) today successfully added to the Energy bill their bipartisan legislation to increase the availability of fuels blended with 85 percent ethanol. The Talent-Obama bill provides a tax credit incentive for businesses that add one or more E-85 pumps to their fueling stations. E-85 is a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent petroleum gasoline.

7) On September 28, Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) and Barack Obama (D-IL) introduced S. 1784, the Medical Error Disclosure and Compensation Act or National MEDiC Act, to promote a culture of safety within the health care system through the establishment of a National Medical Error Disclosure and Compensation Program.

Ooops. He said name one thing. Seems like the guy has been rather busy in two years. There is a bunch more I could have included. Any freshman Republicans doing much? Sorry to take up so much bandwidth but this was like shooting fish. When the DOCTOR challenges you to find something, it isn't because it doesn't exist. He's just too lazy to do the work himself. Or maybe this is just deceptive because he knew the answer and hoped you wouldn't look, a favorite right-wing ploy in promulgating The Big Lie.

Obama seems to work well with Republicans too, I notice.

Late flash from the DOCTOR:!!!
    "Maybe I am not looking in the right places to see where he stands on these issues."

There's the problem! Fox News isn't carrying this stuff. Rush ignores what is important. Ann Coulter says nothing of substance. It took me about five minutes to locate his seemingly unfindable "one thing."

Hint: try Google, the left-wing lie center! (Stock up another $20 today to an all-time high! Yippee!)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]336812[/snapback]</div>
    David,
    With all due respect, you really do need to do your homework before putting forth the above as some sort of arguement against Obama. He's written 2 books that pretty clearly define many of his positions on the subjects you list. He's spoken on a variety of shows on TV addressing these issues. He doesn't obfuscate his positions, he's clear on most and defines very clearly the issues that make it difficult to give a direct answer but points out exactly what issues must be resolved and discussed to find a compromise.

He was quite active in state politics before ascending to the US Senate and certainly knows his way around in the political arena.

For Iraq he wants a controlled/measured withdrawl while leaving in place the tools that will allow the country to govern itself. Honestly, that's the only solution there is. We can't stay, our presence stirs too much anamosity within much of the middle east. We can't cut and run, it would leave Iraq in chaos, civil war, and allow it to be overrun by extremists.

The rest of the research you really should do on your own so you aren't getting a bias presentation. I'd honestly look forward to a straight forward discussion of his stances on these issues once you've taken the time to educate yourself..it will be worth your while.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Evan: Is there, or is there not a forum policy against intentional lying?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 23 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]336859[/snapback]</div>
    Bush was governor of one of the largest states in the country and won his state in the presidential election unlike his first opponent :lol: And you voted for Kerry who was even a worse student than Bush with a D average.

And how would you retract your vote for obama if he proves dishonest?? Cant wait to here this one. Are you going to call the election board and tell them you want your ballet back? Or are you going to jump on some "impeachment" bandwagon with a bunch of out of touch wingnuts?

You are right about Bush in a way. He is not used to the Iraqi's who are fighting back - especially after beating up on two sorry Democratic nominees for President who could not even punch their way out of a paper bag - and one was supposedly some war hero - Geez the dems had real war heroes once - now you are hard pressed to name three - maybe obama served??? Does he have any video :D

But I guess most of all according to your criteria, you would vote for Forrest Gump too - he was honest. At least Forrest didn't commit perjury or adultary and he actually won real war medals he did not throw away - so he may be your best candidate :rolleyes:

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]336944[/snapback]</div>
    Another dbermanmd LIE!!!!! Kerry did have a one-point lower average than Bush, but it was 76 vs 77, which is a C average in both cases, not a D average as you claim.

Have you no shame, dbermanmd?

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]336944[/snapback]</div>
    David, with no respect, (unlike Evan),
    OBAMA ISN'T RUNNING FOR ANYTHING!
    I have to run now but since you couldn't wait, I thought I'd leave this.

Are you actually allowed out on your own?

Get a spell checker: you're a Doctor. Try to sound like one.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 23 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]336921[/snapback]</div>
    Hope New Orleans was good for you.

I know a little about obama - he wants a phased withdrawl from iraq - which sounds nice - i would like to know how he proposes to do it without letting iran step in and take over which would be the greatest disaster to visit us in the past 50 years

I know he voted against Judge Roberts - I do not know why unless is what just politcal motivation - which says a lot about him and honesty. Roberts is probably the smartest most qualified nominee for the SC in ages. How could you honestly vote against him unless its political.

I also know he wants to withdraw from the middle east in general including iran and syria:

"And, I think we also have to start sending a message to the region and some of the powers there, including Iran and Syria that it makes sense for us at this point to pull back, to make sure that they are engaged and have a stake in creating some semblance of order there because right now they’re just sitting back I think and watching us flounder but they’re not investing in any kind of way to make sure that Iraq has a decent outcome"

This foreign policy initiative would be a complete disaster - to leave syria and iran alone to operate. and the above quote from his appearance on larry king shows complete obfuscation - read it and try not to let your brain become inflammed. he wants a decent outcome in iraq but he wants to withdraw from iraq.

he is young, he has no real experience, he is not proven himself to anyone except he has ambition. fine. what he is is an african american - a bright guy - but not more than that yet. collin powel is a better candidate if people are looking for african americans or sec rice.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]336953[/snapback]</div>
    Why is it that you never forget to capitalize 'I' in reference to yourself, but consistently fail to do so in numerous other cases? Here, you've forgotten the name of Colin Powell (which you also misspelled), *A*frican *A*merican, and *S*ec *R*ice...?

What's really cool is that 'shift' works well for *any* letter, not just 'I.'

Try it sometime! It's easier than you might think.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No one named Barak Obama is going to be President.

It really is simple as that....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 23 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]336981[/snapback]</div>

Yes!!! Another opportunity for......

[​IMG]

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 23 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]336925[/snapback]</div>
    In FHOP, "The First Amendment is your friend." IOW, lying is permitted. However, people who make a habit of it lose their credibility as others will point out their lies and document the facts, as, for example, Alnilam does above.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 23 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]337076[/snapback]</div>
    Ok then, I'll just keep adding to my list, but it's getting LONG.

16. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With due thought and consideration of posts since my last posting in this thread:

I would vote for him if he ran.

Any questions?

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When a candidate has experience but questionable character "it's all about character".

When a candidate has character but lacks experience then "it's all about experience.".

Mostly it's all about being a Democrat. Because it doesn't matter if you have character AND experience, if you're a Democrat they'll find some other mud to sling.....or just make it up.

The more I know Republicans, the more I vote Democrat.

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 23 2006, 06:17 AM) [snapback]336694[/snapback]</div>
    Governors are part of the Executive branch of their state government, so they are kind of a natural to be considered for President. Kind of the "manager" of the state becoming the "manager" of the nation. Among those with little national experience that were elected President but were not governors we have to include JFK, as you mention, and Eisenhower. And, of course, Abraham Lincoln.

Obama is an attractive candidate because of his speech at the 2004 Convention, where he went against the current rhetorical grain, and established himself as an American rather than a member of any particular group:

His speech appealed to many of us because of his unifying theme:

Its a great speech, and its too bad the guys at the top of the ticket that he praises were not worthy of his words. He doesn't deserve to play second fiddle to a mercurial candidate like Hillary. He deserves to be at the top of the ticket, with someone like Evan Bayh as his running mate.

19. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 23 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]336988[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds a little racist to me.

It has nothing to do with spelling. It has to do with respect. That too hard to understand?

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]336812[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, he is good at talking the talk, (i.e. parrot like repetition of the Left's talking points) but not walking the walk. Something Bush has never done.

Wildkow