1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will / Should Sen. Obama run in 2008?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by huskers, Oct 22, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 23 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]337110[/snapback]</div>
    if it were between mccain and obama who would you vote for if you dont mind saying so?

and

if it were between guiliani and obama who would get your vote?

just curious?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    McCain v Obama would be a tough choice. I like and trust McCain and his experience is a bonus. I think he'd be reasonable when it came to the social issues that are important to Democrats and I don't think he'd sell out our constitution like Bush just for the sake of making his 'War against terror' more convenient.

Gulliani v Obama I'd vote Obama for sure. I've hear Gulliani speak. While he's considered a moderate I have concerns about his very tight ties to the conservative fringes. That's not to say he might not be a good president, but I consider him more risky than Obama.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 23 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]336988[/snapback]</div>
    This is actually a real plus, I'd say. He has real ties to Africa, and he "cares about Black people". Talk about rallying your base! Democratic turnout would likely be unprecidented.

4. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 23 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]336988[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, the Squid was right! Check your Constitution:

Age, Name and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1
    No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States. Further, no such person having a funny name shall be eligible for this office. Particular attention should be paid to names ending in a vowel.

Further clarification:

This was the reason Mario Cuomo dropped out of contention some years back to save his family the shame his certain exposure to the Vowel Clause, as constitutional lawyers call it. Obama certainly is covered here.

Barry Goldwater, if voters were ignorant enough to have elected him, would have been denied office by the same Section. He was born in Arizona in 1909, a full three years before it became a state and would have been summarily ejected under the Dirty Foreigner Clause.

Strict Constructionists of the Bork/Scalia (who is also ineligible) School, please note and screen all candidates accordingly.

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 26 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]338816[/snapback]</div>
    Is there a committee or something that determines whether a name is "too funny" to be elected? I assume whoever monitors this flagged Monroe, Fillmore and Pierce for the vowel clause, but determined them to be OK.

6. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 24 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]337337[/snapback]</div>
    But he didn't mind selling out his family for the perks of repositioning himself as a good Republican, his arm around Bush's shoulder (when Bush needed him.) Bush/Rove accused his wife of being a junkie and they played the racial card against his child. They implied McCain was a bit off his rocker because of his years as a POW. Yet McCain conveniently forgave and forgot. Would you? I wore his T-Shirt in 2000. Now his Straight-Talk-Express has taken a wrong turn somewhere.

7. pault842

pault842 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 22 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]336419[/snapback]</div>
    Am I missing something about this guy, what exactly has he done?

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 24 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]337372[/snapback]</div>
    Or, some Democrats who are marginal supporters will feel that the idea of a Black man running for President is too far left, and it will fragment the party even further.

9. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 26 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]338820[/snapback]</div>
    I think there is such a committee and would guess the Squid is on it from his public vote. The vowel itself is not itself disqualifying but is intended to be a pointer to the funniness. However both names ending in vowels is almost a prima facie case. (See: Ima Stupido v. US, USSC/1976)

I'm a little suspect of "Proco" by the way. What's your other name?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pault842 @ Oct 26 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]338827[/snapback]</div>
    So far he has spoken English clearly and honestly, which puts him a full length ahead. The race is just beginning. Wait until you see the competition!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 26 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]338835[/snapback]</div>
    He's Black???

That's it for me! Funny name and Black is just too much!

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 26 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]338836[/snapback]</div>
    You would vote for someone just becuase of their phenotypic expression??

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Senator Obama Who?

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 26 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]338825[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I lost all respect for McCain when he sold his integrity to Bush. I guess when you forget and forgive your own back-stabbing, swiftboating GOP brethren it's not flip-flopping. There's loyalty and then there's rolling over like a wimp.

I would have voted for McCain in 2000. I'll never vote for him ever. Period. I don't care who's running against him.

I do hope the GOP nominate him. It will be real entertaining to watch them back-peddle, flip-flop and explain in general how he was unfit to be President 8 years ago due to his mental unbalance from his POW days, his wife being a junkie, kid, et al....but he's Okay now.

The sad thing is, there are sheeple that will buy that swill. I guess just because God gave us brains and free will doesn't mean some of us take advantage of the resources.

I wonder how many Darwin Awards have been won by Republicans. (Not enough, I imagine.)