1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Hawk, Mar 14, 2006.

1. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quahog @ May 15 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]255894[/snapback]</div>

The indicator does show the full bars, but I rarely have it happen. Pretty much the only time this happened for me was when driving down mountain passes in Colorado/Wyoming. In my typical driving in Texas, I never see green bars. I would think most people wouldn't see them without significant hills, especially with A/C use.

I think that even full bars doesn't really mean a full battery, but others can bring in their information on this. Even with one bar from the top, the software works to use the energy from the battery to keep the battery from being overcharged and get back to 3/4 charged.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quahog @ May 15 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]255894[/snapback]</div>
    My bars usually go between 3 and 6. The only time I see a full battery is when I'm on a long downhill. BTW, 8 bars isn't a full battery. The battery's actually at 80% State of Charge (SOC) at that point. When there is only 1 bar showing the battery is at 40%. The Prius really works hard to protect the battery from deep cycles so that it will last as long as possible.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, as a semi-related and anecdotal story, I got my VAIO laptop about 2 years ago and have maintained the battery (as best as I can) as the Prius battery where I don't let it run below 40% charge if I can help it, I use this laptop everyday for work and personal. I extend the 4 hours possible usage with Valence's discontinued N-Charge-2 saphion battery that gives me another 2-3 hours to use on top.

My friend got an Alienware laptop about a year ago, and has been doing deep discharges of that battery even though I related how the Prius keeps the battery from deep discharges to maintain battery life.

Well today, I'm not the one who has to think about replacing a dying laptop battery now.

The Prius is different from some of the older Honda Insights running around in that those Insights allowed deep discharges of the battery, and hence the early battery failure stories now.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Mar 14 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]225030[/snapback]</div>
    Wow!

Does the odometer turnover when it gets to 1,000,000?