1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Chevrolet Volt be a failure or a success?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Reginnald, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am pretty sure the government required the change. That is not GM's fault.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because a mid-size hybrid is getting 50 MPG and a mid-size EV consumes 34 kWh/100m.

A compact plugin hybrid with 37 MPG and 36 kWh/100m consumption is high. A smaller car should be more efficient than a bigger car. The reality is the opposite.

3. hampdenwireless

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am glad you are not doing my taxes!

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You missed the whole concept of preconditioning and EREV. It supposed to avoid that.

The reality of how Volt really works is what you would expect from a hybrid. This further proves the Volt not an EREV or an electric car.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So much for the Range Extended Electric Vehicle promotion. It is turning out to be a very heavy compact car that is bad in both the hybrid mode and the EV mode.

1 person likes this.
  6. hampdenwireless

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So the volt is doing 25 miles on electricty from your own information under harsh conditions yet it is not a EREV because it runs the ice for one minute after 12 miles? You are making up your own rules.

7. hampdenwireless

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So Corolla is a guzzler? I don't think so but it gets similar or worse mpg.

Gas guzzlers are cars that get less then 21 mpg.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely. This is GM's definition, not mine. ICE is suppose to Extend Range as a backup generator when the battery runs low. It was not suppose to be a Battery Warmer. Otherwise, it would be called BWEV.

Corolla is not a hybrid so you are comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't say 37 MPG is a gas guzzler but it is not good for a hybrid that cost that much.

Without specifying the size of the vehicle, that's meaningless. 21 mpg bus is definitely not a gas guzzler.

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I think you may have been answered before, but the original post is mine, so now is on my call.:)

To be honest, you have to realize Volt as any other hybrid! Is there a doubt over that? Of course not.
    Let's then compare it to other hybrids...And stands pretty under average, not even to the first Prius lauched 14 years ago!:rolleyes:

Also Volt works as an EV. Pretty well, it can obviously satisfy, but drains that 10% more than the other EVs rolling out. Leaf is 5 seat. Tesla is a sports car. When the PHV Lab Prius was tested, it was proven to spend much less electric energy than Volt. More than 30%, as I remember, but there you have, PHV Prius is still to be on sale. [If it were available right now, also its MPG on Charge Sustain Mode would be here to underline my opinion, back to the 2nd paragraph of my post, but ok]

The border between being a failure or a sucess tends to be straight/narrow when competition exists. And Volt, always marketed as a breakthrough, simply cannot keep up with present/near future other cars. They had so much to time to design/perfecting.

Guzzler may be a broad adjective, I confess. Thirsty, drinking habit, problem? :confused:

10. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    EPA figures are useless - they can't be used for calcualting energy use. They have used the 30% fudge factor. Did that lab use the 30% fudge factor ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're being a bit hard on the volt? 'they had lots of time to develop it'? they havn't had any more time than any other mfg. they all started when they wanted to start. if they started late, it's because they have been dragged kicking and screaming into the fray.
    the only cars available so far are the only ones we can judge. and it's really too early to judge any of them, except for the current hybrids.
    leaf stands on it's own as pure ev, and volt stands on it's own as extended electric range hybrid. as of right now, neither one has a direct competitor.:)

12. hampdenwireless

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes. But I said car not vehicle,bus or truck.

The EPA actually has a rating for gas guzzler for a car. It is basically 21mpg and cars that get worse mpg are labeled guzzlers.

1 person likes this.
  13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They use the fudge factor for gas cars and hybrids too, so they can be used for comparison purpose. The adjustments were made to be more realistic as revised in 2008.

14. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it's priced to be successful. Did i say that in a previous post? I should have.

2 people like this.
  15. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Portuguese is my mother language, I went to my netsurfing to get what means "fudge factor", and this is:
    A fudge factor is a quantity introduced into a calculation in order to "fudge" the results: that is, to make them match better what happens in the real world.There was no lab testing for the Prius PHV, it was real world. As same for Volt, even before official EPA testing, average MPGs in charge sustain from many sources happened to converge into the value tested. For EV range and energy consumption, it had less "average" results to compare with.
    I agree, let's both wait for that "30% fudge factor" to come in Volt's defense, when applied to the Prius PHV.:D

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the new ceo, akerson, ordered the engineers to cut 10 grand out of the car. that should be an interesting experiment.:eek:

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It'll be interesting to see what other features would get cut out as well. It may cripple the Volt. The only thing going for it is the 35 EV miles.

18. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats easy. Get rid of the union.

2 people like this.
  19. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Change into a BEV, dropping the ICE! Great, I've been pushing that from first day... :D

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. After the bankruptcy and concessions labor cost is about 11% per vehicle. I would expect given the cost of materials it is less than $4000/volt.

Getting production up to 10,000 cars a month should definitely cut costs, and reduce things like battery prices. I do fear that if they cut costs that much they will be cutting quality in materials. Honda definitely cut costs too far in the insight.