1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the EV survive in America?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JMD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doesn't bother me in the least. But then again I drive to SoCal every weekend in the spring for 12 weekends. Go figure.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It was a pain to install, but I installed seat heaters. It's a much more efficient way to heat ... warming up the occupants rather than the air - and once your backside is toasty, well, that's all you need to feel warm . Over an hour's time, simple seat heaters may save as much as 4-5 kWh's of energy - enough to get you 15 or 20 miles further down the road.
    That's not to say you can't blow thru 21kWh's in little as 55 miles - and the same can be said for those few who manage to get 115 miles out of 21kWh's. The reality is somewhere between the 2 extremes.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, funny thing. It turns out the economy won't support a gas price that high. It collapses instead.

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I remember :) but for me personally, it will probably end up driving me out of the state in some years. Yep, not taxes, but lack of proper public transit infrastructure and insufficient density.

5. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What, BART isn't sufficient for your needs? :)

I can use Caltrain and BART to get to work, but the timing of the trains and shuttles is such that it adds more time than if I just drive. My wife used BART on a daily basis for nearly 14 years to get to her job in SF and Oakland.

6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah my benchmark is NYC-metro transit (NJ, LI, CT). Nothing here comes even remotely close.
    Commuting by anything other than car from Berkeley to Cupertino roughly doubles the travel time. Absolutely insane.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh yeah .... we pay 10 bucks a gallon ... we just pay for it differently . We pay for it through respiratory health consequences ... we pay for it through trillions in military expenses. Western governments set up the Shaw in Iran so we have an easy access to Mideast oil ... and it results in what the CIA calls blowback. So - for decades we now have to cover the cost of people wanting to kill us because we killed them first - Yep, securing our greedy oil interests is a dirty business. It kind of makes you wonder if it wouldn't just be worth it to pay the higher pump price, like much of the rest of the developed world does ... which then forces us to build our own working public transportation system (instead of more aircraft carriers) . Now wouldn't that be something.

Zythryn likes this.