1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the new 2012 front bumper fit on a 2011?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by D Unit, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can i get these at local oreilly or autozone? or it has to be ordered through ebay?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They should be available locally

VS980 4G ?

3. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you notice, my DRL arent working. I checked them before installing and they would light up. But when i installed them i used 2012 wiring harness preinstalled for these DRL and they plugged right into the socket but DRL do not turn on. Any suggestion? maybe some fuse needs to be put in since 2010 wasnt configured for DRL.?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need to tap a fuse that is +12v when in Ready Mode.

sfv41901 and Umar Ali like this.
  6. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have picture for demonstration or maybe more explanation

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Look at post #200......I showed u which fuse.

If the bumper u got came with the harness, rhats good but ur Prii won't have the terminal for the DRLs......what u will need to do is remove the pin from the bumper harness & tap into the fuse I recommended in post #200.

VS980 4G ?

8. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well i didnt have to modify anything for turn signals, it plugged right into the socket. Now i bought this jumper fuse, so i will tap it into fuse box and run wire to the turn signal and then tap into the wires for LED? the ones pointed out in picture red and black. Do i just cut them off and tap with new wiring or any other clean way to do it? s-l1600.jpg

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I wouldn't cut there. Go to the plug at the end of the bumper harness......now match up the pins to the end on ur Prii. There will be 1 pin missing on ur Prii plug.....this is going to be the pos pin for the DRLs on the bumper harness. Using a T-tap with a male spade, tap the wire & run it to the fuse tap. Done deal.

[​IMG]

VS980 4G ?

Umar Ali likes this.
  10. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is really helpful. If i understood right, the wiring harness from 2013 prius is installed and the main plug goes to the socket. That is where i have to match pins? i believe that is what you meant. You only mentioned positive to run. Do i have to tap for ground also or its already connected?

Edit: its raining here for 2 days, i will attempt probably in couple of days or so since that is when rain will stop

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. The entire front bumper harness shares the same ground so u only have to worry about the positive

@Umar Ali , are u familiar on how to remove the pin from the housing?

If so, I would recommend doing so & cut off the pin, then either soldier on a longer wire or use a butt connector followed by marine shrink tubing for a water tight connection.

Umar Ali likes this.
  12. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe i can use some pinted thing to remove pin from housing just like any connector on computers right? i do have shrink tubing so definitely will use that thanks for reminding. i would rather take pin out and then use maybe butt connector since for soldering i would have to take signal out again.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posted this in another thread, but you might consider using one of these DRL modules to control the Prius DRLs. Added benefit is that the DRLs will dim when the headlights are turned on:
    You can rewire the Prius DRLs using one of these, or similar, that dim the DRLs when the headlights are turned on:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191352036355&alt=web

Umar Ali likes this.
  14. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty similar to a computer.

Umar Ali likes this.
  15. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This seems more complex setup than just running one wire. also why would i want to dim DRL when turn on headlight? any electrical reason? or any other

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OEM LED DRLs like Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. all dim their LED DRLs when headlights are turned on to prevent excessive glare to other drivers.

sfv41901 and Umar Ali like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, OP: you cannot be married. Can you...?

I cannot picture "honey, I want to replace the front bumper, like the look of this other one". You would be financially screwed, for the next decade: every time she wanted a big ticket item, she could bring up the time you swapped out a perfectly good bumper.

(Ah woops, three year old thread, oh well.)

18. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So finally spared some time this past weekend due to crazy schedule with our first new arrival. As Steve mentioned i found the wire which goes to the DRL it is red wire, so i pulled it out of the connector, then i tapped it into the fuse you mentioned in picture. What happened was i got "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" message on my dash and no DRL light up with car on engine on headlights on anyway.replaced the fuse and thank God i have ELM327 so i reset codes then i tapped into fuse for Dome, the dome light came on but still no DRL, i dont know where ir what is the issue. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad fuse tap?

19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The reason u got the "check hybrid system" is because u either removed that fuse while in "ready" mode or the fuse wasn't properly seated when u powered on.

Did u use the fuse tap I suggested? Did u have a fuse in each slot of the tap?

Umar Ali likes this.
  20. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes i figured the fuse triggered the code, so i tried to make sure it is seated properly it was a little tight in one place thats why i tried at Dome fuse where it seated properly. I used the same tap you showed in thepicture but i only put one fuse in the tap port which i pulled from the fuse box, do i need to put a spare fuse in other available port also?

sfv41901 likes this.