1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Prius still work if Battery needs replaced?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Pizza_Daddy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Pizza_Daddy

Pizza_Daddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't know really where to post since my question pertains to G1 and G2 prius models.

I am looking for a prius, but do not want to purchase a 2010 due to mainly driving gravel back roads for my business. Since I am setting a budget of no more than $8k most of the prius I am finding have well over 130k miles on them. (most of them are the G1) My question is this,

If the car's traction battery is shot/dead etc, Is the car still drivable? Or do you pretty much own a prius that doesn't move/work?

Is there a way to check or look for signs informing me if the battery pack is still good/will last another 20-30k miles?

2. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In case the traction battery is completely gone the car would not move at all, because there would be no way to start the ICE. This is done by MG1 which draws power from the traction battery. If the traction battery is on its way to eternity but still able to provide enough power to start the engine, then it would go, but there will be very limited power and you could have serious problems during acceleration.

Your second question is hard to answer. I myself would inspect the battery visually at first, looking for any sign of corroded contacts or leaks coming from the modules. I would measure the voltage of each module individually with a voltmeter and look for any significant discrepancies (anything bigger than approx. 0.05V apart would be a reason to worry).

During a test drive, I would look for any wild variations of SOC (State Of Charge), which would be a bad sign - and as the last test, I would try to force-charge the battery (press the brake pedal firmly while in "D" and floor the gas simultaneously, the battery would charge by the ICE) to eight green bars (full SOC) and will try how far would the car go solely on electric power. If it is properly warmed and in S4 mode, it should go electric even if you have no "EV" button in place and unless you press the go pedal too much. With eight greens, it should go at least half a mile or more at a steady speed on a flat ground, before engaging the ICE again.

If the car passes all these tests, I would say your odds that the traction battery will last for another 20 or 30kmiles are reasonably good. If you go for a Gen I (classic) Prius, then I would prefer some with a gen II battery pack in place (they are interchangeable, but gen II modules are much improved over the first generation). Any gen I with its original traction battery pack still in place would probably worry me a little, although it could be all right too.

1 person likes this.
  3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think to stay within your $8K budget you would be better off buying a non-hybrid. There have been battery problems on some of the Gen1 Prius but information is hard to come by because it's hard to find data on reliability once the cars are are out of warranty. The Gen2 batteries seem much more reliable.

Check out Bob Wilson's post #24 on this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/78970-hv-battery-salesman-says-3.html He has included some good references.

1 person likes this.
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. All of that $8K should be used for buying a reliable drive train and chassis, not spent on a questionably-old high-voltage battery. Look for a recent Kia or the like. Save up to pay cash for a new Prius in the future.