1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Prius stop to avoid a collision?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Guangdew, Aug 25, 2023.

1. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The emergency braking works already from low speeds starting at 3mph NOT 7mph (which is the braking support limit).

I guess in the end 3mph is just a safe upper limit stated from Toyota - who knows it might even work for 2mph.

#21 AndersOne, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    2023p likes this.
  2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear this. I was under the impression that if a pedestrian walked out in front of a Gen 5 Prius or Prime the car would slam on the breaks. Not sure what the parameters are. Obviously driver still needs to pay attention.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to mention that of the 7 people I've known that were walking or biking and got hit by a car doing so all 7 were hit by either a pickup or an SUV. Not that automatic braking isn't needed in a smaller car, but you do have the advantage of actually seeing the person. Not like the three times a pickup has ran into my flatbed trailer, twice with me pulling it in traffic.

Tideland Prius and mountaineer like this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope these safety features work at a crawling pace. Isn’t it supposed to help avoid tragic accidents like when a child or dog runs behind your car while you’re backing out of driveway or when an Uber delivery person pops out of nowhere distracted by their phone and runs directly in front of your car?

6. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, ideally all vehicles would automatically brake or do other things to avoid an accident at all costs, regarless of who's driving.

The point I was making is that you're less likely to get in an accident with a pedestrian in a sedan or hatchback than in a modern day pickup, SUV or CUV due to the difference in viewing area around the vehicle. If you're a good driver and keep your eyes on your surroundings you're still more likely to run over a child, dog, Uber delivery person, etc in a high profile vehicle if you don't have auto braking.

Although IMO it would be better if there were laws to promote both autobraking and better viewing area around the vehicle. If you can't see a toddler in front or behind a certain vehicle, said vehicle should need additional viewing aids that are intuitive (front cameras wouldn't be intuitive, but half moon mirrors might). And since viewing aids may not be 100% intuitive and easy to use I'd say that high profile vehicles should also require special training, just like school bus drivers get.

daisy555 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Behind" viewing is already covered on all new light vehicles (under 10,000 lbs GVW), not just certain ones. Since May 2018.

90% of all new cars already have some form of autobraking, from a voluntary industry agreement some years ago. Several months ago, NHTSA proposed new requirements for better versions to be in all new cars by 2028. So the government and industry are rapidly moving in the direction you want.

NHTSA Proposes Automatic Emergency Braking Requirements for New Vehicles | US Department of Transportation

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Autobraking, yes.

Front viewing, no.

Pickups are currently designed with the hood way higher than ever before. There is no need for it. The only reason is because looks sell.

I believe I already mentioned this, but of the 7 people I've known who were ran over by a vehicle, all 7 accidents were by pickups or large SUVs that "didn't see" the pedestrian. The same with the three times my trailer got ran into, all three were modern day pickups.

Sure, autobraking should help. But why make vehicles with such large blind spots in the front?

9. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what vehicles that have a hood that's too tall to see a toddler all need.

mountaineer and daisy555 like this.
  10. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I've had grass trigger the warning when stopping to get my mail.

AndersOne and Isaac Zachary like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    An object moving may be easier to spot.

12. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It's not moving, just standing there about 1' high

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Air disturbances from the engine fans could cause the grass to move, but I was picturing grass much shorter. I know other cars can easily spot bushes for warnings. Going back to the OP, did your car brake for the grass?

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don’t confuse PCS with PKA-B or whatever Toyota is calling it now (previously ICS). PCS works above 7-10mph. Below that, the ultrasonic sensors are taking care of that. USS don’t need movement.