1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will there be a hybrid Sienna?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Dec 13, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Now that the 2011 Sienna has been announced, the logical question is whether there will be a hybrid version, and when?

It is one smart looking minivan that holds great hybrid promise. What's your thought?

2. Mister Two

Mister Two New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see why not when the Estima Hybrid and Alphard Hybrid have been in production for years.

3. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had thought that there would be but it appears not to be the case for the immediate future. I'm guessing that we'll see some kind of Prius MPV debuting soon as it appears that they might be focusing all the hybrids under the 'Prius' halo.

4. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since the Estima is a completely different minivan it is not too likely for Toyota to make a hybrid version of the Sienna as well. If they were going to make one, they would have announced it with the regular version.

I would like them to bring the Estima here as its a better size (smaller) then the Sienna but by Toyota's actions they probably think it is too small for the USA.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. It's the only logical step (after midsize SUV hybrid, luxury SUV hybrid, luxury performance hybrid, midsize family hybrid, luxury hybrid and dedicated luxury hybrid). It's the untouched market.

hampden, yeah I think it is too small for the US. It's very narrow (think Mazda5 interior width) so for a minivan, people expect bigger.

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unless they just call it a Prius Wagon?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha good point. Rebadge it.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm thinking it depends on the engine and vehicle weight, and the current MPG of the non-hybrid Sienna. If Toyota put the Highlander HSD system/engine in, would it allow the Sienna to get better MPG than the non-hybrid Sienna, would Highlander HSD operate well in a Sienna? Or, how about the Camry HSD - how well would it operate in the Sienna? If Toyota cannot find a simple solution, and would have to design an all-new HSD for the Sienna, I wouldn't count on it becoming available anytime in 2010. Toyota is likely focusing much more of their resources on variants of the Prius. Perhaps a Sienna hybrid is Toyota's next big project, the project they are focusing most of their resources on. The reason that is likely not the case is because the new Sienna, that hasn't even arrived yet, will first have to prove it's popularity with the general public.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more Sienna photos: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/73000-phv-prius-photos-i-took-la-auto-show.html

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A key problem IMO is the weight. As big as the current Sienna is, then filled with 6+ people and their gear, the vehicle is going to have to have some serious go power or it will be deemed a dog.

There are a couple of vehicles in this position now in the Toyota lineup. The current HH is outdated even within Toyota's own lineup since the Lexus RX450h is linked with the 3.5L V6. But notice that the Lexus got the new hybrid first.

Maybe, hopefully..., the next step is to link the HSD with the two new I4s which just debuted in the Toyota lineups. These would be the 2.5L and the 2.7L. The Ford Fusion hybrid is linked with it's 2.5L and frankly it jumps over the Camry hybrid. I'd expect to see the new Camry hybrid coming in 15 months when the Gen 7s arrive with the 2.5L + HSD combo.

But the Venza ( 2.7L ), Highlander ( 2.7L ) and probably the Sienna ( 2.7L ) all could be linked with the HSD system as well making each one of them killers on the prowl.

But then again they might just scrap all three and bring us an all new Prius MPV such as the Estima hybrid.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine bay is large enough to fit a 4 cylinder HSD setup since it's able to take a 3.5 litre V6. The question is whether it'll use the 2.5 litre or the 2.7 litre. I'm with deadphish in thinking that it'll probably be the 2.7 litre to get a little more oomph. The 2.5 litre is awaiting hybridisation. It's new and fresh and fuel efficient (just like our brand new 1.8 litre on the Corolla/Matrix/xD) so coupling it with the latest HSD will produce some good results.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Coupling HSD to a 2.7L engine seems to make sense. What about battery placement?

As for the Prius brand, I have a feeling Toyota will eventually have a Prius wagon but not a Prius minivan. At least not for the US market where folks are larger and want/need bigger vehicles than, say, Japan. The redesigned Sienna appears to aim at this segment.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

A Minivan and diesel would make much better sense. Better mpg and torque without new R&D into another hybrid setup, at least for the short term.

Toyota needs to step up with diesel releases in the USA, like most car makers.

13. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HUH??

Toyota, GM and Ford are already on record that for the foreseeable future diesels are not part of the product plans for light passenger vehicles in the NA market. The acceptance is too low and the potential cost penalties are too high. It's OK for a niche provider like VW but the majority of Americans here are anti-diesel. Fighting the majority is a losing battle not worth the effort. Let some other company fight that battle. In the meanwhile hybrids have a huge positive perception here.

It's simply a question of providing the populace with what it wants; i.e. making easy money rather than hard money. Even Nissan and Honda which two years ago were hot and heavy for bringing diesels here have backed off. None in the works.

1 person likes this.
  14. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota executives said the entire lineup will have a hybrid version by 2020. I certainly hope for a hybrid Minivan long before that and I heard Honda is ahead of the game in this one... When I bought my Odyssey in 2006, the Odyssey was a much better option than the Sienna because many options standard in the Odyssey was too expensive in the Sienna giving the Odyssey a much better value at the high end territory with similarly equipped vehicles... I'm not sure how they compare now but I will check out both when time comes to replace my 2006 model, although I admit I will be a bit bias toward the Odyssey because it is a heck of a good car. My best so far…

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda has backed off on the TSX/Accor diesel. No word on the Odyssey diesel but that seem to be a more logical choice.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda and Toyota play this game of chicken or one-upsmanship with each other. To wit..
    • Acrua -> Lexus
    • Insight -> Prius; Honda drops the Insight
    • Insight II -> Prius 3
    • Camry -> Accord
    • Accord hybrid -> Camry hybrid; Honda drops the Accord hybrid
    • Honda announces 'Accord' diesel but then backs off
    • Civic -> Corolla
    • Odyssey -> Sienna
    • Odyssey diesel announcement -> Toyota implies Sienna hybrid is around the corner...Honda backs off
    • Highlander hybrid -> Honda announced MDX diesel...then backs off
    • CR-Z -> New small hybrid announcement in Detroit + new 'MR2'?
    Watch the next time that Honda announces a new venture...a week or two later Toyota will be in the papers with a response....then vice versa.

Honda makes a lot of these 'Ta Da' announcements maybe just to goad Toyota into some response.

17. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Have you seen the new Sienna yet? It's a really sweet vehicle. I sat in one at the LA Auto Show. It is a really nice vehicle. I'm sure you will be more than happy when you get a chance to experience it. :)

18. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I have not. Minivan is my thing, I really like it. It's a lot more family friendly than a SUV and more FE too. My 06 Odyssey shuts off 2 cylinders when not needed and delivers impressive FE for its size... I got 30 MPG with long hwy trips at least 2 or 3 times in my Odyssey, which always run loaded with heavy cargo weight in such trips. If I recall correctly, the Sienna has comparable FE. I believe Honda will also release a new 2011 Odyssey, maybe 2012. Like I said, I will check both when the time comes. Pricing of the top of the line, which was my preference in the past, was a deal breaker for the Sienna, but Toyota may have resolved this now... not sure.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure. The new Sienna Limited has a lot more features that might actually increase the price. It has features such as 2nd row lounge chairs (w/ Ottoman), PCS, DRCC, power folding 3rd row seats and 8-passenger capability (previously limited to the CE and LE versions) as well as SKS & push button start to name a few new additions. Of course AWD will be there too which is something no other minivan offers now that Chrysler has dropped that option on their vans.

20. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet the new Odyssey will have all of that and maybe more... typical of Honda vs. Toyota game... this time Honda waited silent and will play catch up. I was certainly hoping for the Odyssey diesel but I’m pretty sure that project has been shelved. I did a quick check in the current models and the game remains similar to 2006... Compared to the Odyssey, the Sienna base price is cheaper but options are more expensive, so the value of a fully loaded vehicle is better in the Odyssey... Regarding the AWD, I don't know, but I was never sold by the AWD option in a minivan. It seems like it does make much difference…