1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will there be many Prius Gen 2 on the road in 10-15 years?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Apr 18, 2021.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 1989 I bought a Toyota Corolla All-Trac wagon. In 2001 my daughter started driving it and in 2009 I gave it to a lady with 4 kids under 6 when her husband left her. I lost track of it when she could not get car seats for all of them and needed a mini van, but it was old enough to drink. I do not see reasons why the Prius is less reliable. So far, each new generation battery cells fit earlier generations. Will it need brakes and CV joints? Yes and new battery cells, but that is cheaper than a new car.

(I found a quick lube place that sold coupons for 4 oil changes for $100, and gave book of them to my daughter each year)

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We already have a few members testing them in the real world with good results!

Sanchan likes this.
  4. Ted Diamond

Ted Diamond New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it's made in Japan, you'll see them around!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  5. rons_prius

rons_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have owned my prius for 13 years now, 257,XXX miles later, it still amazes me how well it operates. I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of the maintenance and repairs myself. This car has already outlasted my last 3 cars simply because of such cheap operating costs. at this rate, another 13 years is not out of the questions.

6. DaviDino

DaviDino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In theory, the Gen2 auto should last well past 25 years of very economical service. BUT, will it be reliable over that period? AND, how do you insure it properly?

Here's my point:
    a) Toyota dealers have recognized new value in the market for replacement hybrid batteries; area dealers are now quoting new 3 yr warranted batteries for only 30% above cost for questionable 'restored' batteries from numerous aftermarket sources. This is good news for keeping our cars on the road, BUT there's many other hybrid support parts that can fail, requiring expensive & vital repairs. Since installing new hybrid pack in December 2020 I've broken down twice; needed inverter water pump (P0A93 $500); now DOA with ABS relays clicking but no electrical functions (see separate Gen2 Maintenance Thread). When will it end, or can I keep pouring money into this endurance test?

b) After investing for new battery pack and other maintenance issues to keep a Gen2 running (and saving at the pump amidst escalating fuel prices), HOW can you insure against a total loss in event of minor body damage? As the vehicle age ramps up, the insurance value drops to practically nothing unless you are especially lucky not to get any bumps or scratches. Case in point: deer jumps in from of my son's 2004 Celica GT resulting in a $2500 total loss declaration by GEICO. The only way to adequately protect an older car from the scrap yard, despite our heavy investment in upkeep, is to store it under shelter of a "Classic Car" policy. If anyone has found a better solution to avoid being declared a 'total loss' by your insurance underwriter, PLEASE REPLY to share your advice!!!

7. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2008 with 189k. Is there a definitive guide on all the "little things" I should start doing to keep it alive as long as possible?

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two things... 1) Do lots of internet searches on this website and read lots... 2) Let people know what region in the USA you live so you will be able to connect with Prius folks near to you more easily.

9. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really do think that there will still be plenty of Gen 2’s around for a long time. Spare parts are plentiful, and these things are very reliable vehicles in general. As EV’s become more prevalent, Hybrids such as our Prius will be seen as relatively “simple” and cheap to work on.

We are planning to buy a Tesla for my wife in a few years, and I will likely follow suit not too long after. I will still want to have an ICE vehicle around, at least for a while, and I think the Prius is the perfect blend of the traditional car and the future (which will almost undoubtedly be EV’S)

strawbrad likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see them occasionally, spotted recently in Fort Langley:

B8546ADF-317F-402D-B6C3-9C8244710BF9.jpeg
    (Cali plate no less...)

Sanchan, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At the minimum the Gen Two's, do seem to make 200,000 mile's fairly easily. There is no shortage of Silver 2nd Gen Prius' out here. mile's

We got ours's from our BIL with a well documented history at 150000 miles. The Hybrid Battery went out at 8 year's and 139'000 it was replaced under warranty when we got it.

All the fluid's had been replaced a few time's, it had at least two water pumps replaced. The spark plugs were changed at 100'000. And to my surprise the Cat was replaced under warrant. That was a surprise to me?? The document's said slow response from the O2 sensor?? I don't think, they changed the 02 sensor?? because that came back in the form of the "Triangle of Death!"

The car slowed to a crawl the gas pedal did not work?? The SOC showed flat?? I found a good spot and pulled over to call my wife to get a tow home. About 5 miles. I let it idle and the battery came back?? So I told her to cancel the tow. And I would try and drive home??

It made the 5 miles home at 55 mph without issue?? She had a friend follow her the next day and off to Toyota it goes. It drove there without issue aside from the Triangle of Death!
    But the O2 was replace and the codes cleared and in about the next 50,000 mile that was the only issue.

But in going over the Documentation, I see that all the fluids have been changed, the water pump was changed twice?? The Brakes have been exchanged and the front and rear shock's have been swapped out at least twice??

But as "issues," go now with 235,000, mile's

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One made it out of here:).

Had the HOV stickers none the less:whistle:.

I see about a half dozen a week commuting so they exist and prevalent in areas where winter weather aren't present(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm freaking laptop cut me off?? I was gonna say 150000, miles when got it. And aside from the 02 issue (which I suspect was not change with the new cat install ...which was weird??) Between and 150'000 miles and now 235000 we have had no issue's?? Or may be it's 215'000 mile's?? I don't know and I am to lazy to check now.

But I do know that the Prius is the car with the most miles on it that we have ever had and it run's just fine with out issue! I laugh at 3.25 a gallon for gas. We don't drive all that much so ... less than 10.00 buck's and we are good for two week's.

But the weird thing is our mpg goes down from putting less than 30 miles on her per week?? About 39 to 40 mpg. For the Covid shot I had to drive to Reno and in 90 mile round trip at 80 to 90 mph I averaged 45 mpg! :)

We had a 2003 Denali, and I luv'd that beast but the gas mileage was "Brutal!" It would not go past a Gas Station without stopping and we live a "Block," away from Maverick's!

If you floored that puppy you could watch the mpg go from 17,16, 15, 14 ... in second's??? And if you keep your foot in it?? It would not stop gulping fuel?? I luv'd that thing but it was brutal on the wallet. :)

14. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First Gen's are rare around here. I saw one a long time ago and I thought it was Toyota Echo, till I saw the Hybrid badge?? I was stunned but the Gen 2, ton's of those out here. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, how did it get across the border? Are there many "essential" folks crossing in passenger vehicles instead of commercial vehicles?

I do imagine that some that were across the border when the lockdowns started, may have chosen to not return yet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they all look brand new too.

Sanchan, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mines on the second half of a million miles so yes I think there will be many (1,920,000sold)

iPhone ?

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  18. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Too bad that list doesn’t break down by generations; I’d speculate 2nd gen has better legs, than 3rd.

20. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the hands of non enthusiast, I don't think the Gen 3's are gonna hold up?? The Gen 2, set the bar for low maintenance required, pretty high. If I were not "here," and had a Gen 3?? I would not know the EGR system, was even a thing much less a potential issue if not cared for?? But lack of required maintenance to that system is gonna kill them??

A dirty clogged EGR system lead's to Bad Head Gasket's and Bad Head Gasket's can lead to destroyed engine?? If we were to get a second Prius it would be a Gen 4 or I suppose a low mileage Gen 3 so I could get on top of crap before thing's go wrong. :)