1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will these rims and tires work?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Higgins909, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm having to type this all a 2nd time...

10' Prius III Trim, Sandy Beach color. Stock. I'm wanting to put wider tires and bigger rims on my Prius. I need the speedometer to be accurate (currently 1-2 under with stock size) and no rubbing. I don't really care too much about MPG anymore to a extent. 10' year Gen 3's only seem to get 40mpg and I'm tired of having poor handling vehicles. I'm not sure if it's just that slick out or my tires are just that horrible.

I live in Texas. As far as I know there is no need for TPMS. I'm planning to order Mounted and balanced from Tire Rack. Will put old set in shed until I'm satisfied I can sell them or something.

Tire size 225/45-17
    Rim size 17x7.5 45 Offset
    I'm wanting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but Yokohama Avid Ascend GT look alright too, but score slightly less then the Michelin. I'm not quite set on a rim yet but maybe Enkei Performance M52 Hyper Black. (Hard to find a style that fits the Prius and color works with the Sandy Beach)

I also need a alignment, I'm not sure if I should do it before or after. Is there anything I'm forgetting to look into before buying all this? The rims are supposed to come with centering rings and lug nuts and I assume valve stem.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty good setup. You wont have any issues rubbing unless you lower but even then, with that offset, you will be fine. You'd probably be able to get away with +38. If you aren't worried about MPGs, choose whatever you think looks good. You could also add some springs that will lower you just over an inch and still have clearance with that setup but drastically improve handling and they aren't that expensive either.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This I don't understand. You do know the odometer is currently accurate, or reasonably so, with the stock tire size?

4. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know the speedometer is 1-2mph low depending on speed. (45 is 44 and 92 is 90mph roughly) I assume the odometer is based off that and is fairly accurate. Because I'm changing the tire width and aspect I was unsure if the speedometer would read correctly. (or the same in this case) Tire size's website calculator says it's the same diameter as the stock size.

I would like to try and lower it, but as it is now I scrape too much.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you mean if the speedo is off the odo is off by the same amount?

That is an incorrect assumption. The odo is accurate as is practical. If it wasn't the lawyers would be all over it. Warranties and all sorts of stuff rely on that accuracy.

The only thing that's off with the stock tires is a slight "under-reporting" of your speed, by the speedo. The car knows the correct speed, internally. But the display is slightly high, on purpose, in an attempt to ensure people keep within the speed limits, are not misled by the speedo to exceed speed limits.

A fool's mission, I know...

James Powers likes this.