1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will this 72W charger work with the Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Henrik Helmers, Sep 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Henrik Helmers

Henrik Helmers Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am trying to plan ahead for the new car. I sometimes bring my laptop and other accessories that I would like to charge. I found this 72W charger from Satechi and wonder if it will work with the Prime?

Or are there other chargers you would recommend?

2. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as it doesn't go over 10A on the 12V side it will be OK.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And as long as ALL of your devices actually charge through a USB port.
    If you have multiple devices, you might want a charger with multiple ports.

And note that the power port on the car is hot ONLY when the car is running.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    72W divided by 12V is 6A, so, yes, it'll work fine. With that USB C connector, just be sure you don't try to use it to power your laptop.

Edit to strike out a brain fart. I think I'm gettin' old. :oops: Thanks for the correction, @Salamander_King.

#4 jerrymildred, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The spec on the adapter in the link is only 60W max on PD supported USB-C and 12W for the USB-A port. It should be fine. I use a similar but slightly lower 63W USB-C/A adaptor for my laptop all the time. Mine is 45W max for the USB-C port (PD3.0) and 18W max on USB-A port (QC3.0). It will take slightly longer to charge a larger laptop, but my laptop (Pixelbook Gen2) is charged in less than 60 min. And yes as already pointed out, the port is hot when your car is in READY mode. I think it may also be hot in ACC or ON mode, but be careful using any 12v port out of READY mode. You may end up depleting the 12v battery.

Why not use USB-C connector for the laptop? OP is specifically asking about using it to power his "laptop". I am assuming his laptop has USB-C Power Delivery (PD3.0) compatible input port.

#5 Salamander_King, Sep 5, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless this changed for Prime, I think those outlets have power when the car is "running" (in READY) but also in ON or ACC. It's just that if it's not in READY you are taking charge from the aux battery that isn't getting replenished.

A 72 watt charger isn't taking very much out of the aux battery and you could probably get away with a couple hours of that (so short only because of other stuff in the car that also uses power in ACC; if it were only the 72 watt charger it would be longer). The car probably has a timer that will turn ACC off after 20 minutes or so anyway.

If you stay in READY the car will keep the aux battery tended and you can charge for as long as you like.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #7 Salamander_King, Sep 5, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.