1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will this battery maintenance work for a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by David9962000, Aug 23, 2020.

1. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you.

2012 Prius v wagon 3 likes this.
  2. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Still watching the video. This guy is awesome. I thought I recognized him, then realized it was because I've watched most of his series of videos on rebuilding his old 911 engine.
    Curious about how applicable the tips for the Insight NiMh will be for our Prius batteries.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, there are lots of threads here on grid chargers, and prolong from hybrid automotive is the most popular.
    now, to qualify that, it works on a prius with nimh, not lion. anywho, if you're talking about your 2020, you don't need it, it won't help until the battery begins losing capacity. and lion behaves quite differently, doesn't lose capacity in the same way as nimh.

4. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I can see how that works equalising the bottom end by totally flattening and the top by slow gradual over charging slightly. Only a slow charger to be used to charge from flat or you will run the risk of some cells reversing. It won't make the batteries last forever but extending their useful life is what it is all about. Thanks for sharing

bisco likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is no magic.
    Things like that likely will do more damage than good when applied to a brand new battery.
    AND then if you wait too long, until some of the cells are actually on the verge of total failure, it will be too late.

6. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus

I agree it would be madness to do on a new battery why balance what is balanced but for those that have reduced capacity due to imbalance this obviously worked for the original poster. It would not work for me as I have a lithium battery but for Nimh and nicad battery the only negative is the extra cycle or two and the other terminal to the positive :p