1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota Ever Sell EV Upgrade Packages?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Dec 29, 2014.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not holding my breath, but it might be nice if Toyota offers PiP battery upgrades down the road as this technology continues to improve. Tesla has this for the Roadster:

Tesla Roadster 3.0 Shows How EVs Can Be Upgraded | PluginCars.com

For the Roadster, it looks like a gain in EV range of about 60%. But it's more than just the battery in that case - they get lower rolling resistance tires and a more aerodynamic body kit. However, on a per kWh basis, it's just 25% more absolute capacity. No doubt this will be pretty pricey for the Roadster.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i'm not holding my breath either.;)

3. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've understood that Prius just doesn't make a good EV/PiP anyway. That's because the inverter can't take that much power from the battery (around 25 kW?), you would have to replace it too.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prius PIP is hardly priced like the Tesla either.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That information is clearly not correct. There is upgrade potential available, for more power in suburb driving.

The current battery delivers 38 kW.

The traction motor is rated for 60 kW.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've put 18,000 ev miles on my pip, it seems to work pretty well as an ev. i would love a 25% battery increase upgrade, not that i think it will happen.

7. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so is 38 kW the maximum from inverter to traction motor battery to inverter, or can it handle even more?

#7 MattNiem, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depending on your driving pattern, a larger battery in a plug-in hybrid can be a problem. The issue is one of how old can you let the gas get. Though the manual says to do at least a half tank every 6 months, I would settle for 2-3 months between fill ups as a good target. If I had the EV range of a Volt, I might end up with really old, bad, gas when I needed the range.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the engine runs every 124 miles, so you don't have to worry about it. volt also has a method for keeping the gas fresh.

F8L likes this.
  10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep, the PiP or Volt will take care of the stale gas problem on its own.

Even if this were not the case, using these cars for EV driving only for months at a time, one could just keep filled up with 1-2 gallons for an out-of-range EV emergency situation. Then when going on a long trip, you could fill up the tank with a few gallons to deal with any stale gas left over.

[email protected], fortytwok and F8L like this.
  11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure the people who purchased the Roadster are too concerned with an upgrade cost. And since its includes a battery upgrade, well they are getting almost a brand new car for probably much, much less than the initial purchase price.

I don't believe Toyota has ever offered "hardware upgrades" for any of their vehicles, unless it was originally defective. Crap its hard enough getting a software upgrade out of them now. And that's to actually fix things.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the price of a gps upgrade should include a new battery.:p

rxlawdude and -Rozi- like this.
  13. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Although, Toyota did offer a cruise control hardware update for the 2001 Prius a year or two after it came out.

The car's hybrid controller was already capable -- they just didn't originally offer it as an option for whatever reason. Later, after customer lobbying, they sold an extra control stalk that the dealer could add to the steering column.

14. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I suspect that the DC-to-DC voltage converter between the battery and the inverter is limited to about 38 kW.

Even if you just upgraded the battery you could still add more range with the same power output and battery charger limitations and still make some customers happy. I doubt that enough PiP owners would go for it to make it a viable update for Toyota. Perhaps a 3rd party will offer something in a few years when the next step up in improved battery chemistry comes around.

15. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As I understand it, the pip's engine running every 124 miles is for the purpose of engine maintenance, not managing fuel age. Hence the bit in the manual about using half a tank every 6 months. But yes, there are ways to deal with the fuel getting old (manual or automatic), and ways to slow down the aging process.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Based on what?

It wouldn't matter, since upgrading would require software support as well... which just plain isn't a draw for automakers. What incentive is there, especially knowing Toyota's strategy of the past to get current owners to purchase new so more used models become available?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, i forgot about that, thanks!(y)

18. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It was be a useful upgrade for the PiP to give such a message if the fuel was too old. The Volt gives that warning to add fuel
    I suppose its not an issue for most but when I had my PiP I recall at least once wondering if I'd added enough gas to satisfy the need

19. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Nothing more than Toyota's general practice of carefully designing parts to required specifications (rather than sloppily over designing) in order to save cost and weight.

None of their cars have likely ever required a DC/DC voltage boost converter requiring greater than 38 kW. But sure, it's just speculation.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the most i've gone is 4 1/2 months, and i don't know if anyone's driving more ev than me. i never go anywhere, especially in the winter. i think retired doesn't drive much, i'll have to ask him.