1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota force a fix on recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Jan 29, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm due for the steering/coil fix recall. But just got a letter from Toyota reminding me I never got the gas pedal shaved-- and I don't want it shaved.

What am I facing when I go for the steering/coil recall? I DO NOT want the shave job....

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they made me sign off saying i declined it.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

You just sign the paper saying you wont hold them responsible. I also opted not to have my pedal shaved since I would rather not have a tech monkey grinding away the pedal.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The short pedal is a real pain in the you know where. My foot is always sliding off the darn thing . I don't drive it much as it is her car! I use CC as much as I can when I'm at the wheel. I may change it back. H

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine was done w/them even asking me.

I took it in for maintenance and they told me after the fact they shaved it. Luckily, it was done pretty well and I have no issues with it. They informed me that if I didn't like it, they could ask for a new pedal assembly to be installed. Unclear how that differs from a shaved one.

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It may have more to do with foot size. I am a 10 and I find the pedal to high up from the floor! H

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wear a 15 shoe. It's fine.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After reminding the Service Advisor, that the incident that caused this whole bruhaha was the dealer that stupidly added a second loose mat on top of the OEM mat in a rental / loaner car, resulting in the deaths of 4 or 5 people!
    I politly point out that the OEM mat was properly designed, and only a MORON, or really stupid Toyota Dealership would loosly drop a second mat, which will bind with the gas pedal, on top of the OEM mat!
    When I take the car in, I have a tag I attach to the gas pedal, "Don't even think of screwing with this gas pedal, it's just fine as is, otherwise you will be replacing it at your cost with a virgin, unmodified one!
    So far it takes care of the issue!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea!:D of course they want to replace it, they get paid.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They cut mine and did a nice job. I have a cheap mat protecting the factory mat so have high mat height.
    Feels fine.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    EVERY visit the Service Writer mentions the recall. EVERY visit I politely decline. No problems for the 1st 60000 miles.

12. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for the answers!!! Appreciate it very much. My local dealer (about 30 miles away) is not known for being very customer friendly. I remember the day they insisted I LEGALLY had to have my car aligned before I could buy tires.

Legally? C'mon. Maybe they can recommend it....This is the same dealer that wanted to charge me about $130 for rubber floor mats that were MSRP by Toyota at $90. Another dealer charged me $60....

Anyway, I cringe about taking my car into them....but I guess I should not ignore the steering/coil issue.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how far to the next dealer?;)

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I receive a recall notice I consider the performance of the car and if there is a time or mileage limit for the recall. If the car doesn't have any issues and if the recall won't improve performance then I'm not inclined to have the work done as I really don't want the car disassembled to replace something that isn't broken but may fail.

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I just received my notices for the Steering and ECU coolant pump recall today! Now to make some time to give the local dealer a day to fix it, and no to the pedal mod please! I do hope they burp the coolant line properly the first time. I will have to set my scan gauge to read before and after temps! I think Torque will work also!
    Update after the fix is finished!

16. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be taking my car in next week for the steering and coolant pump recall. I never had the gas pedal recall performed. I have after market floor mats that work fine. What do they do on the gas pedal recall? Stealerships creep me out. I haven't been to one since I bought the car 4 yrs ago. At least they are giving me a free loner car.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The pedal assembly is removed from the car. The bottom edge is cut off, to provide additional clearance between the bottom of the pedal and the floor; then the pedal assembly is reinstalled.

Silver bullit likes this.
  18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when you take your car in, read everything before they shave your pedal. don't listen to your service adviser as some are not really educated on these cars (any toyota for that matter) and will put down anything listed for any recall (stating they are legally obligated to do all recalls). read all your papers and Do Not Sign anything if the pedal recall is listed. They will deny it up and down and it will be too late. I just filed formal complaints since i was tossed paperwork and told to sign it while being told it wouldn't be shaved (even told it wasn't performed when i left and i returned to complain). it's now going to come down to a lawsuit for poor practice (etc, etc) there is NO way to reverse this once they shave it (besides looking up the older model on ebay... ends in a 50 instead of a 60 for our stock pedal)