1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will you still be happy with your Prius if gas gets cheap?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Soylent, Sep 5, 2006.

1. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 18 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]408126[/snapback]</div>
    Clyde Coleman played a major part in killing the electric car when, ironically, he figured out you could use an electric motor to start a gas engine instead of the hand crank.

2. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 18 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]408170[/snapback]</div>
    But this is exactly what I mean: hybrids, and especially the high-visibility Prius, are generally noteworthy not as better, but as different, because they are the flagship of a political cause and not an automotive innovation.

The crazy nickel mine-nickel battery stuff I've read seems like the "weird science fact" pieces that occasionally appear about how many times one could go to the moon and back if the red cells from one human body were stacked one on another. But this is the first time I've heard anyone who seems to be advocating action based on the weird science fact. Mining (especially originating many decades ago) is not a tidy process, and I'd bet most materials make long trips to their points-of-use nowadays. I don't know why it should give Toyata a special black eye that one of its metals is mined at a messy mine and travels thousands of miles to be used. I'd guess that's the rule and not the exception.

I'd suppose the paper wasted on printing the BS about the Prius' environmental impact travels from at least a few states away. Such is the global economy of the 21st century.

I just hate seeing the Prius talked/written up as a great cause and not as great car. Such press almost kept me from even considering one.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Mar 18 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]408203[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure if the chicken or the egg came first here, though.

The folks on the OTHER side use the Prius as a symbol for "false greeness" and such. They ridicule buyers with the notion that everybody buys one to save money on gas. So yes, I see what you mean about the Prius owners pushing the car as a "cause" but I see the other side doing the same thing, and I'm honestly not just sure where it all started.

The Prius IS a great car. And I'm sick of hearing from people who tell me that I wasted all that money on the "hybrid premium" since I won't save that amount on gasoline..... Uh... what amount did I pay extra, exactly? Why is it that people think they know WHY I bought a Prius? Do they know why I bought a $40,000 20mpg Volvo before that? Did I get my money back out of the "Volvo Premium?" Nobody seems to care. But buy a $25,000 car that gets 50mpg, and suddenly I'm an idiot consumer.

4. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 19 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]408210[/snapback]</div>
    Everyone is still upset that you sold the electric Ford Ranger.

5. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>

We havge been buying cars that get 45-50 mpg since 1980. Only now, we get that mileage in a nice car with amenities!

6. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 19 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]408210[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's kinda imponderable for a car available only as a hybrid. I assumed $4-5K based on the Honda Civic, which I think generous since I consider HSD to be a superior technology to IMA. With gas at $2.50 a gallon (I wish) and some low-side of realistic estimates about the frequency with which I get sent to some of my company's satellite locations (30-40 mile commute), it will take 2-3 years to pay off the "hybrid premium" compared to the MPG of what I traded in (1999 F-150 with 130K miles).

Yes, I could have paid way less for something that would get MPG in the 30's, and by that measure, the "hybrid premium" I paid is enormous. However, the "something" would have been a stripped-down econobox far inferior to the Prius in safety, comfort, and enjoyability, so the comparison isn't valid.

That's what I think the real story of the Prius is: not that I'm saving the planet by driving it (I doubt equally that I am and that it needs saving at all), but that I'm driving a high-end (I wouldn't say luxury) car with all the goodies and then some that also happens to get unbelievable MPG due to awesome engineering.

Unless something changes (I've only had it a week), my Prius experience probably will mean that I'll never buy a non-hybrid again. Hopefully, when my wife's 2004 Envoy XUV is at end-of-life sometime around 2012-2014, something with a hybrid drivetrain will be on the market to replace it. (I don't know of any current hybrid capable of towing 6000#+.) Not because I'll be saving the planet or making Al Gore happy, but because driving a non-hybrid seems tantamount to pumping (at least) a gallon down the drain for every gallon pumped into the tank.

7. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 18 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]408210[/snapback]</div>

Excellent point, thats all I hear nowadays. I always tell them that, I didn't buy the Prius to save on gas but its a nice perk!

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 19 2007, 04:36 AM) [snapback]408288[/snapback]</div>
    Ha. Well, maybe so. Though the PC members have a longer memory for that than even my neighbors! If Ford could have built something more along the lines of the EV1 or Rav4EV, it would still be parked in my driveway, I'll bet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 19 2007, 06:51 AM) [snapback]408315[/snapback]</div>
    Nobody publicly questions my nieghbor's choice of a Hummer. And everybody already knew that I was wacko after owning three EVs... but once I drove home in the Prius, the gloves came off. Suddenly everybody knew that I was a financial dunce, and they knew exactly why I bought the Prius (For totally invalid reasons, of course!). Folks love to tell me to mind my own buisiness about what THEY drive... but see nothing wrong with telling me that I made a big mistake with this purchase - that the wool was really pulled over my eyes this time!

Would probably kill them to hear that I paid $42k for my EV with just 100 miles of range!

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought my Prius for four reasons:
    1. I wanted to support this new and important technology
    2. I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint
    3. I wanted better mileage
    4. I think the Prius is the coolest looking car on the road

Cheap gas is still petroleum; still a major pollutant. Using less of it is more important to me than the cost of a gallon of it.

Verdict? I have no regrets about buying a Prius regardless of fuel costs.

I bought my Prius for four reasons:
    1. I wanted to support this new and important technology
    2. I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint
    3. I wanted better mileage
    4. I think the Prius is the coolest looking car on the road

Cheap gas is still petroleum; still a major pollutant. Using less of it is more important to me than the cost of a gallon of it.

Verdict? I have no regrets about buying a Prius regardless of fuel costs.

10. JamieS

JamieS New Member

Yeah, it's easier to criticize a hybrid driver than a HUMMER driver, I suppose. The hybrid driver is more likely to have bought it for a "cause", I guess, and therefore more susceptible to guilt.

I think the price of the Prius is played up quite a bit. I'd say it's an average-priced car if you don't get every optional accessory. Many people pay $23,000 for a non-hybrid; many people pay more than that.

11. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>
    I had a Civic Hybrid for almost five years before buying the Prius so we have been driving a hybrid in one form or another for quite a while. Saving money on gas at any price is nice, but the main benefit is the lessening of the impact on the enviorment, and the enjoyment of driving a car packed with technology. It is a great car and I love it. :D

12. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I could give a care about gas mileage or gas prices. Sorry, but I think that the Prius is too expensive of a car (even a high mileage used classic) for most people at the lower end of the economic scale. (I'm talking about the people making $6/hr supporting families that really feel pain at the pump not the rich lawyer/doctor omplainin because he/she has to spend an extra $200 a week to fill up his SUV.) They would be better off getting a used Corolla, Civic, Aveo or even 4-cylinder Malibu rather than worrying about the cost of fuel.

I bought my Prius because I felt it was the best choice of vehicle out of my choices (all were mid-sized sedans). I cross shopped the Prius with the BMW 330i, Infiniti G35, Ford Fusion (not a bad car at all considering it's a reskinned Mazda 6), Saturn Aura and even a CPO V-8 Cadillac STS. Obviously, I wasn't concerned about gas prices or mileage. I'm somewhat of a tree hugger (especially where I work--some people still TOSS aluminum cans in 2007), so it fit with my mindset. (I despite ecoterrorism, and I let my subscription to "Plenty" expire. However, I will save those discussions for FHOP.)

I bought the Prius because at the time:

1) it was cool
    2) it had killer resale valuations
    3) it was spacious compared to many of my choices
    4) no one at my office had one (we have like 6 G35's in the parking lot--enough!)
    5) i liked making statements
    6) i didnt fit the typical demographic of most Prius drivers--(I still like getting that double take look whenever I pull up in my Pree)
    7) my 1994 Grand Am SE with 180k miles was getting long in the tooth
    7) I could!

13. mike_m

mike_m New Member

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I've let this thread go for many moons without replying to it. I guess I thought it was sort of silly.

Like asking "Will you still love your wife (Or significant other) if (he/she) changes hair color?"

15. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>
    So you wish the gas price is sky rocket high because you have Prius and you are happy with it??

Think again,

1st you are paying more for your gas if the gas is higher.

2nd everything will be higher; consequently you are paying more for the same item if the gas is cheaper (because they are paying higher on gas to deliver the good for you), your relative will pay higher on gas etc...

Are you still happy if the gas price is higher? :rolleyes:

16. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my '04 & '06 because of the technology, the low emissions and the high MPG but not because of $PG.

..if gas gets cheap? Yea right, as probable as the Moon showing its back side.

17. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Let me see... gas is about 7 USD per gallon here. Tax breaks, VAT returns (in my case), low deprecation and cheap insurance make owning a Prius less costly than owning a comparable car here, especially if you want one with the same features (nav, climate control etc). And that's without factoring in the lower fuel consumption.

Now, what was the question again? :huh:

Seriously though, under different circumstances, I'd like a car that looks better and is more fun to drive. This one for instance:

[​IMG]

18. sandsw

sandsw Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a Prius as yet, but am seriously considering purchasing one. Petrol here in Australia varies from 1.16/litre (US$3.50/gallon) and spikes to US$5.00 per gallon. In the cities. Add another 20% to 30% if you live in the country.

I have learnt a lot from this forum and I thank you all for the feedback given on this car. It is good to hear that it is a great car to drive as well as being fuel efficient. This will be the first brand new car I have ever bought in over 40 years of car ownership.

Cheers
    Warwick

19. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wakdos @ Mar 20 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]408831[/snapback]</div>
    It's worth the wait. I waited ~ 45 years for my first new car. I figured I'd go for the best package I could afford (actually, I think package 6 was the best available in my area for an '05). I kept vascillating, but decided it was my first new car, and perhaps my last, so why not?

Dave M.

20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius07Pkg4 @ Mar 20 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]408767[/snapback]</div>
    I’m hoping that gas prices continue to go up. I’ve been disappointed that gas has been falling since last fall but the recent trend is promising. I predict peak summer prices of between $3.50 and $4.00 per gallon. That of course assumes no major disruption in gulf coast production from hurricanes and that Iran doesn’t stop shipping oil in response to UN sanctions. In my mind, a sustained increase in gasoline and diesel prices is the only way that the US will do anything to address our problem of oil dependency.

Yes, I know that initially the cost of goods will increase, but that will be moderated in the long term by increases in efficiency. If diesel increases 3 to 4 times maybe the US will start using rail and water to transport goods again. Companies won’t be able to afford point to point, “just in time†shipments by tractor trailer. We could see an end to outsourcing to low cost countries. It won’t be cheaper to ship raw materials to China, manufacture goods with cheap labor, and ship them back to the US. Our entire economic model is built on cheap transportation, something that is bound to change.

Our cities may start to be planned around mass transit and pedestrians. I might be able to walk from one store to another without having to cross a 7 lane road that doesn’t have a crosswalk. Traffic congestion will decrease because it won’t be cheaper commute 100 miles a day instead of living close to your job.

I didn’t purchase my Prius to save money on gas; I purchased it to reduce my use of gasoline. I see this as a small personal step towards a larger solution.

So to answer the question, yes I will still like my Prius if gas prices go down. I will however, be disappointed that the US will miss another chance to embrace efficient use of energy.