1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winding Noise coming from transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrewm1, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Andrewm1

Andrewm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to this forum. Hoping someone can help me out.

I've had my Prius for about a year and it runs flawless. About 3 weeks ago I started to get a popping noise in the front. Every now and then the transmission would feel like it would slip when I would take off. Then it started to make a very loud popping noise. Then a few days later as I was driving home it made one loud noise and the popping stopped but then it started to make a very loud winding noise. At first I thought it was the CV axle or the wheel bearing. But I replaced both of these and it still has the same problem.

Now when I drive whether 1 mile an hour or 50 miles an hour it makes a very loud winding noise. When I keep the mph consistent it will start popping and the car will shake. Also the traction control light will start blinking every now and then when I'm driving about 30 mph like the transmission is slipping or something. If I get the speeds up to 50 MPH and put it in neutral the winding will stop.

Has anyone heard of this problem. I have searched all of the forums and found nothing similar to my problem. My car is completely undrivable at this point. I hope it's not the transmission that is out but this seems to be the only thing I can think of at this point.

If it is the transmission I cannot afford to have it replaced. Has anyone ever replaced the transmission themselves? How hard would it be if it is possible. I have replaced a couple transmissions before but these were on trucks so I have never done a car transmission.

Thanks in advance..

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles are on your car? Transaxles are cheap, around $500 or less. My mechanic replaced mine for around $500 labor.

You should get the codes read on the car, it'll give you a better idea of what's wrong. But from what you're describing, it could be tranaxle related.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have done a truck, you can do a prius. there is a thread here with step by step and pics, done in the driveway. i think it's a sticky.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Andrewm1

Andrewm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no warning lights or anything. The car already has 150k on it. I really hate to put up more money for a transmission and then the battery go out or something else major happen. I love the prius but I feel like there are too many very expensive parts that can go wrong.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suggest you sell it

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ditto^^^

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see that mentioned in lusciousgarage.com forums. The differential section of the tranasaxle has failed. There's some youtubes about it too I think. It may have been caused by a worn inner cvt joint beating the crap out of the differential hypoid where they meet the gear. Lots of pressure there. Any deviation in angle will cause severe wear. When you replaced the inners was one really worn or really loose?

Pull the trans fluid and smell it and check magnet for lots of metal and fill up a wide container with the trans fluid and look at the fluid in the sun. Lots of shiny metal in there if the trans has failed. Kinda like Gold Rush without the $$$.

#8 edthefox5, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  9. Andrewm1

Andrewm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I ended up replacing the transmission. I used the guide here to do it:

DIY: How to remove GenII Transmission | PriusChat

I got a used transmission with 80k miles on it for $250 in LA. Everything went pretty smoothly and now it's running great! Was not as hard as I thought it would be. With me and my dad we were able to do the whole thing in about 14 hours. Could probably do it way quicker now that I know what I am doing.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y) i take back everything i said in post #7.:p