1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window 7 IE 11 breaks Prius Chat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dorunron, Dec 10, 2013.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a common misconception. Applications not being compliant with the latest standards is often the actual cause of the problem. Retaining backward-compatibility forever simply isn't realistic. Being a support guru in IT, that situation is an extremely common one we've been dealing with as a result of the latest upgrades.

dorunron likes this.
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects. I am not an IT, but I'm pretty good with a box. Merely repeating what I was told by my guy.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius Chat works fine on IE 11, the problem is when you click "Reply". It not longer adds the quote envelope into the reply. If you must have the reply work right, you have to right click on reply and then open in new tab. Then it works better.

MS just can't seem to keep things straight... But computers never were perfect even from day one. Some are just better than others.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I am a former IT and have been working with computers since the first PC's came out back when it was dos mode. The internet was not even around then, just called Arpanet IIRC. It first started between two college's and went from there. Been building and repairing PC's for a long time, so I understand the problem with backwards compatibility.

As things progress, other older item simply become out of date and sometimes just wont work right any more with the newer standards.

Sort of like trying to put a carb on a FI engine. Doesn't work very well.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I concede that you have more key time. ;)

I've done 3.1, 95, XP, Vista and now W7, so very familiar with s/w compatibility issues. Played with W8.0 a little but I am going to pass on this one. Now if touch screen was something I wanted, that would be different. Still very happy with W7 on the two 775's I built with high end Xeons, that can still do more than about 95% of PCs out there.

Did a custom Precision M4600 for Son's College with an i7, 32GB RAM, Quadro 2000M, mSata boot and 500GB HD. Loaded W7 and all the good stuff for college, life and Mechanical Engineering.