1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window chip repaired -- made it so much worse... Questions

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by franziskaner, Mar 19, 2015.

1. franziskaner

franziskaner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi!

There was a tiny barely noticeable chip on the windshield. Went to the auto glass shop to fix it.

The chip was only on the outside, from the inside it was smooth and intact. They made a hole on the inside of the windshield and now everything looks like big dark lump (it's not transparent anymore).

Oh, they also slightly scratched my dashboard and tore my window film.

They told me that making a hole from the inside it's the part of the repairing process and it's how it should be. But I don't think so. And also why it's dark blue now?

Has anyone encountered anything like this?

2. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a chip repaired on my Tacoma a few weeks ago by Safelite. The guy told me up front he couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't see it, but that it would reduce the chance that it would spread to a crack and require replacement. It started about the size of a quarter. When he finished it was clear, but you could see an irregularity there. Luckily, it was out of my primary sight line so I was satisfied.

Then last week I picked up a rock on the right side that cracked it halfway up the passenger view. So I had to get it replaced anyway. The repair was free courtesy of my insurance company (USAA). The replacement cost me $330 out of pocket. One certainly didn't lead to the other. I would repair again if I got a chip.

All that said, I never saw anything dark blue in the repair. They did not drill THROUGH the windshield but perhaps your chip was deeper than mine. And I would be pissed if they scratched my dashboard and tore my window film. I think they should be held accountable for that.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly why I don't let the town drunk do my windshield repair.

Seriously, that just sounds like a botched job all around. I'd be upset, but the avenues for remedy are probably more taxing and expensive than just replacing the windshield.

Mendel Leisk likes this.