1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window fuse always hot -- does that make any sense?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Title says it all -- I needed to add a circuit so I used a tap-a-fuse and picked the rear passenger window circuit as being pretty safe in case something went wrong (as opposed to the airbag circuit!).

As it turns out, that circuit is always hot -- ignition off or on. That makes no sense to me since obviously the windows don't work when the car is off.

I moved the tap to a different fuse and everything is fine -- circuit off when car off -- but it made me curious. What's up with the window fuse circuit being always hot?

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the ground circuit with an ohm meter and see if its switched instead of the +. Some circuits interupt the ground for switching.

#2 BZzap!, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Johnny Cakes likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This should answer your question.

Attached Files:

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If I read the diagram correctly, you both hit the nail on the head. The power window interrupts ground for switching. Thanks!

In the past I recall people asking about getting constant 12v in the interior of the car and I recall the answers were rather convoluted. Apparently, its quite easy. I'll add some key words so this thread will pop-up in a future search:

CONSTANT 12v
    CONSTANT 12 volts
    CONSTANT POWER
    12v POWER WHEN CAR OFF
    12 volt POWER WHEN CAR OFF
    FUSE HOT