1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window if down sounds like it will break when closing door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by btped, Mar 6, 2017.

1. btped

btped Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2006 Prius is running well and I have learned to to fix something's myself and save money. One lingering problem is with the Driver's Window. If its down some when you close the door it sounds like its about to break from moving against something as the door closes. I've also noticed that the motor seems to keep raising it up even after its at the top when you use the up toggle. Not sure if these are related.

Any suggestions for what is loose to allow the window to rattle/move now when its down and I close the door?

I would love to fix this myself if I knew what the issue was?

Your suggestions welcome.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try tightening the bolts that hold the window in place. Take off the inner door panel and roll the window down a bit, you'll see the 2 bolts that hold the glass.

While you're in there, check to make sure nothing is loose

3. btped

btped Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any details about how one does that? What needs to be removed to get to that? Thanks so much

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Typically you use pry tools, either plastic or steel with some masking tape, and just pull out the panel. Look at the arm rests and door opening levers, there's more than likely screws that need removal, lever arm linkage and wiring connectors to be undone. The fasteners will sometimes come out properly, or they might stay in the door, or occasionally break. There's likely to be a plastic vapour shield afixed with non-hardening caulk: just peel it off as much as needed, and try to keep it neat.

Have you ever needed to break into the car, locked in a key. With a Prius probably not, but just curious.

5. btped

btped Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OK that's kind of what I expected. I replaced the mirror and took the door panel off so its again the same.

Not that I know of did I or anyone ever try to get in but I see what you are saying.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. btped

btped Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hah to your question my son says it might have been used once for a lock-out. If so what does that tell me? Its off track somehow?? Is the fix the same?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Once you get in there you'll likely see what's happening. I recall a door repaint one time: they missed a bolt on the window guide, it was dangling. Not sure how that would happen with a break-in though. Maybe just something got snagged, and is now dangling/hitting.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, @btped! Easy peasy. I had my '05 apart several times for various reasons. This is from memory, so I may be missing a step or two but here goes:

There's a plastic thingy behind the inside door release handle. Pop that out and remove the screw behind it. There's another screw down in the well in the arm rest where you grab to close the door. Also, lift up on the control panel in the arm rest. It pops off and you can unplug it. (Two connectors on my trim level 5.)

Once you have those out, if you have the JBL speakers in the door up by the mirror, that pops off. Then just go around with a plastic pry took (or strong finger tips). I find it easiest to start at the bottom of the door toward the rear. Once you pop off the bottom, front, and back you can lift up and the gasket will lift out of the window slot. Don't go too far yet, though, because you'll need to unplug the little light in the panel down near the floor before you set aside the panel.

Then the fun part -- messing with the clear plastic and the tar that's going to be in your way.

If you want to see it done, there are various videos available on line. Have fun!
    [edited for typos]

#8 jerrymildred, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. btped

btped Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks!

jerrymildred likes this.