1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Louvers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NoMoShocks, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

I had rear louvers on my 1979 Pinto hatchback and my Nissan 200SX hatchback. (Both were black aluminum.)

Yes, you could put leds across the louvers. There's plenty of room if they're small led. I can't guarantee the light won't effect your rear view at night, though.

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had black aluminum on the back and sides of my 1980 Toyota Celica GT liftback. I think I had to buy them 3rd party but it was so long ago I have no idea who made them. I liked them and depending on price and attachment I would be a customer. As I recalled my pin points were on the glass on aluminum squares slid under the window seals. No drilling or permanent mod needed. :hat:

3. TomTom

TomTom New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a set of rear louvers on a 1972 Datsun 240Z and they were held to the car by sliding a thin metal strip over the outside edges of the louvers and under the rubber window gasket. Very simple but I never had any trouble even at some very high speeds. There was no drilling involved.

4. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bestmapman (and anyone else without a rear wiper),
    If you removed the entire wiper assembly, what did you plug the hole with? I now have a blue-gray circle of adhesive vinyl material on mine.
    I am looking into making a button (slightly curved on topside) out of black acetyl plastic material that will have a shoulder on the topside and attach with a small bead of clear silicone seal. Kinda like the head of a smooth rivet. It would match my 15% tint well and not be very visible until you are close up.

5. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have not removed the entire assembly yet. If you make one, I would like to know how you do it so I can do it also.

6. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have to get my gunsmith to turn one on a lathe. I'll take pics and give finished dimensions when I can talk him into making one for me.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm. Remove rear windshield wiper assembly. Use 12V connection to power LED's attached to louvers. Impulse engines.

This is getting out of control.

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, instead of hypermiling, its hyperspace?

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not use an actual button? I'll bet you can find a shank button with a low, smooth dome to silicon glue into the hole. No machining necessary.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Electronics part vendors sell nylon locking hole plugs for filing no longer used
    cable/wire holes in panels and components. They come in black and white,
    and different sizes at 1/16 inch intervals from 1/2 to 1 inch.

Surely one of the sizes will fit snugly. Silicon glue it in, trim back flush with
    rear lift gate glass.

They come in different top profiles; flat, half round, crowned (tapers to a thin
    edge), and others.

Google "hole plug" you'll get a whole raft of suppliers. As I recall, the cost is
    about a dollar.

11. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The hole in the window is around 1 1/2" diameter. The "button" I want to make is going to overlap the glass on top and extend into the hole around 1/4" deep so with a little clear silicone (which won't be visible) it will be solid and secure. It will also be the color of the tint.

12. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any updates? What is the status of the louver project?

13. MarcoLS

MarcoLS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm definitely interested -- if there is no drilling required.

Thanks

14. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had this option on my Toyota Celica back in the day. It had thin metal strips that slip under the window seals on top of the glass and the louver attaches to clips or screws on the strips. Good to over 90 mph!

It kept the car cooler and looked cool too. I miss that 80 Celica GT sometimes....

15. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like the black louvers alot, - sign me up for a set in black aluminum.
    Had a Dodge Charger that had 2 small rear corner side louvers, they just screwed into the original side moldings and looked really sharp. Could these be made at the same time? They also did not block the rear view of the car.
    Would look great with the main rear window louver.

16. txdave

txdave New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is the latest in the rear louver search. It was been several months since the last post. I can't wait to get my set.

17. spressomon

spressomon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I assume, since I can't locate rear louvers for my '09 Prius, this never materialized?

A nice louver system would go along way to keeping the Prius a little cooler by blocking some if not most of the direct overhead sun for those of us living in sun states ;)

18. daviec

daviec New Member

I can't believe that it has been just about a year since the last post on this topic. Does anybody have an update?

19. im4ever

im4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I too was interested in finding some louvers for my Gen II Prius. When I read this thread, I found the website for Astra Hammond (Willpak Industries Inc. the parent company).

Their address:

Willpak Industries Inc.
    2030 Speers Road
    Oakville, Ontario
    L6L 2X8
    Canada

I sent the following e-mail query to them (thanks to NoMoShocks for the window data, saved me from going out and measuring):

I own a 2009 Toyota Prius (second generation body style). I note from searching your distributors on the internet that you do not make rear window louvers for this car. There were in excess of 757,000 of these vehicles sold between 2004 and 2009 in North America, representing an enormous potential market for rear window louvers.

If you do not plan to introduce an aluminum rear window louver for the second generation Prius in the near future, could you help me with modifying an existing set of your aluminum louvers for my car?

It would be best to start with a car with a rear window size very close to the Prius’ rear window which is:
    44 inches wide at the top,
    44.75 inches wide at the base, and
    24 inches from top to base.

Also, a model that accommodates the rear window wiper would be best, but not an absolute necessity, as considerable modification of the existing unit will be required and the wiper clearance can be addressed at that time.

As there is considerable interest in louvers for the second gen Prius on the Prius chat site, I will post your response to the site.

Thank you in advance for your prompt response to my query.

1 person likes this.
  20. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread but what a great idea. If only there was a big enough 3D printer for us to churn these out