1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Shade Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daveleeprius, Mar 30, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Summer is coming up, and I want to buy front and rear window shades for our 2007 Prius to use while we're on road trips. I could go into the Toyota dealer and buy them there, but I have a feeling there are better and/or cheaper ones out there somewhere, maybe even here on the PC board?

Who has the best ones? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave

2. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. justifyd

justifyd New Member

I bought the front shade in the PriusChat Accessory Shop for my '07 Prius Touring and have been very impressed with it. From the photo, I thought it would be a canvas shade, like some RV shades. Mine turned out to be more of a plastic-covered foamcore -- that's the best way I can describe it -- with a reflective face. It literally covers the entire front glass (including the small glass panels on either side) and works extremely well! It's by far the best shade I've ever seen; the fit and quality are amazing.

I will note that putting it up and taking it down requires a little getting used to. When taking it down, you have to make a fairly tight roll in order to get the velcro fastener around it. The advantage to the rolled design is that it lays almost perfectly flat against the windshield when deployed. (Mine dips away from the glass a bit at the vertical line that intersects the mirror. Otherwise, it's flush.)

I didn't buy any of the side or rear shades. (I'm doing well just remembering to put up the windshield shade.) However, I imagine they are also very nice.

- Justifyd

4. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justifyd @ Apr 5 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]418586[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, that sounds like a good recommendation. I'll probably go for that one.

Dave

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justifyd @ Apr 5 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]418586[/snapback]</div>

Well... I actually dislike that shade because it is so bulky. You end up with this huge long roll of "foil" that doesn't actually fit anywhere within reach of the drivers seat. (I often have my daughter in the back, so don't like stashing it on the floor back there.) If I store in in the hatch area, I tend not to use it. When rolled up, it is the top-to-bottom length of that LOOOOONG front windshield. Putting it in and taking it out, I knock the rearview mirror out of whack half the time. I thought it was expensive and not very user friendly.

I bought a "pop-up" reflective "memory wire"-type at Target for $15 or so. It springs open to fill the entire front windshield and folds down into a circle about 10 or 12 inches across with a few twists of the wrist without feeling like you're wrestling an elephant. There was a learning curve with getting it back do to size, but once you learn it, it was very easy and stays shut with velcro. It fits into the driver's door pocket or into the seat back pocket.

6. nwpa

nwpa New Member

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a complete set of the Shades...that I keep in the lower cargo storage because I never use them. They are bulky. The back one never stays up. I pulled a suction cup off of one of the back triangle the second or third time I used it. The front one is bulky and awkward to use.

I bought two of those silver fabric circles with the wire in the edges that you can twist into a small circle for storage. I use them on the front windshield when I park and twist them up and put them in the pocket behind the passenger seat when I'm driving.