1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tint credit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mario13, May 16, 2012.

1. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I received my Prius from the dealer. One slight problem...it was slightly different than the one we negotiated the price on. Basically, the interior was a different color and it didn't have the chrome door runners. No big deal. I did ask that in return, they tint my windows though. They agreed. However, the more and more I think about it, it might be smarter to get a clear bra put on instead...I am a paint freak. I assume they are going to send me to a private place for the tinting. I was thinking about asking the place for a clear bra (assuming they do clear bra) and paying the difference between the tinting and clear bra. What do you think?

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The subcontracted price is probably $100 and clear bras are significantly more expensive so you will hardly save anything at all.

3. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would they have a subcontracted clear bra price as well?

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Depends on the dealer. Many dealers arrange for some mobile tint guy to do a number of cars for less than $100 each and turn around to sell for $300.

5. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    clear bra isnt a better option too. you'll likely get a low credit towards one. you really need to see the guy's work. for example, if they wrap the edges. otherwise, you will end up with pieces of plastic with noticeable gaps in between.

tint will probably be nonceramic, cheapo tint.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The question is do you really want the dealer's low-quality contractor doing clear bra work for you?

IIRC there's an XPEL installer in Jacksonville that does fairly decent work and posts on many forums.