1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tint ~ Manufacturer & Tint Line Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PixelRogue, Jul 15, 2015.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Researching window tint. Have about 3 places that are recommended in the area for window tint; personally used one w/success a number of years back (though ended up being a cheaper film that I was naive about at the time).

Question comes down to which tint manufacturer and which line. Not a motor head needing top of the line, just something that provides respectable heat resistance, decent style and will last. Best bang for the dollar.

One shop does nearly exclusive Lumar ATR (metallic/dye based).
    One shop does nearly exclusive Suntek High Performance (metallic/dye) or Suntek Carbon
    One shop does nearly exclusive 3M (traditional die - up through high end)

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My last dozen cars or so have been tinted with Johnson Films tint.

Lifetime warranty and can say I've never actually had any issues with the film it self. I have went back a couple times in the past for redo's but that was install related.

3. BHQuicksilver

BHQuicksilver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the same boat. Just made an appointment to get my windows tinted today. The appointment is for the 3rd of August, and it looks like I'm going with the 3M because its what the best shop in my city uses. I'm going with the color stable because it looks like the best option.

4. SleePi

SleePi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just picked up a 2015 plug in and am looking to get tints as well. From my research Ceramic reflects heat the best, and carbon a close second. If you are going purely for looks, dye'd tints reflects some heat, but not nearly as well as the carbons. (also, they fade) I'm probably leaning towards llumar CTX.

5. Dire Straits

Dire Straits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am curious to find out... any feedback? which one you ended up going with? I am looking at Lumar ATR ... appreciate feedback/thoughts ..

6. 213sleeper

213sleeper New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had the Dub IR nano ceramic on my car. I used to have 3M Crystalline on my previous car and the Dub IR was about the same performance at a cheaper price. It's been about almost 3 months now with it and it feels the same as the 3M Crystalline on my previous car. My friend has the Suntek top of the line and it doesn't work as good as the Dub IR or 3M Crystalline. I've never used the Llumar ATR as I dont like using dyed films anymore as they'll fade over time.

My recommendation is to go with at least what they call color-stable based films or higher and make sure that they cover color change or fading in the warranty.

7. Dire Straits

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Llumar ATR is not dyed film. It is a metalized film. I am trying to find out if anyone here has been using Llumar ATR and what they like/don't like about it.

213sleeper likes this.
  8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much help, but I'd see what Toyota uses for new sale cars. I've not heard complaints from people who have that, and your tint lines are generally set by state law.

9. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Project went on hold for a while but now coming back around....

10. Dire Straits

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just recently, I got Llumar CTX...seems good to me.. when summer comes I'll know if it is really good.

11. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I refused to pay $300+ tint job, so I started to study on applying automotive tint film (reading OEM tint film manual and youtube). I bought roll of Geoshield DarkMatter Ceramic 30, cleaning materials, home made squeegee, tinted 5 windows taking me total 2 hours, total material price= $120 (for materials). I compared to dealer applied tint film and workmanship, I can say I did very good job for my first tint. If you want endevor tinting your car window, my experience are the following;
    1. I recommend in checking your local law for minimum tint % transmission and % light reflectance
    2. If you going 30% light transmission, actual tint will be 28% reason being that factory windows are tinted, hence lower % tint (hint if state law is 32%, lower 32% may get ticket)
    3. Get good tint film(1.5-2 Mil thick film) and cleaning materials
    4. Use demin water with baby shampoo soap
    5. Apply tint film ambient temperature above 50 deg F, unless you are professional, I did mine at 60 deg F.
    6. Protect upholstery while cleaning and applying tint film
    7. Cleaning windows very well prior application is key for professional job.
    8. Spray diluted demin +baby shampoo generously
    9. Dont rush in applying tint film, good tint film will adjust easily with no mess.
    10. Remove as much as water with squeegee
    11. Dont roll your windows after application
    12. Let sit on the sun for 4 hours or more. Dont roll windows for 3 days.
    13. Dont use ammonia base cleaners when applying tint film or cleaning tinted window.

The above is my experience, you will need to do your due diligence on selection of tint film, reading OEM and other applicable instruction manual.

Apl420 likes this.